Calculus 3 Problem (explain solution)

In summary, the conversation was about converting the equation p = 2 sin (x) cos (y) into rectangular coordinates and identifying the surface. The solution involved using the correct symbols for spherical coordinates and applying the relevant formulas. The equation was eventually simplified to x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 2x, which represents a sphere with an axis of (1,0,0). The conversation concluded with the explanation of the 2x portion of the equation and a resource provided for further understanding.
ttran1117

Homework Statement

Put the equation: p = 2 sin (x) cos (y) into rectangular coordinates. Identify the surface

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to look at all the identities but I can't seem to figure out which one to use. I have the solutions to this problem, which follows:

p^2 = 2 p sin x cos y
=> x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 2x (Where did this come from?)
=> x^2 - 2x + y^2 + z^2 = 0
=> (x^2-2x+1) + y^2 + z^2 = 1, which is a sphere of axis (1,0,0)

Can anyone explain the solution? Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Apparently you are dealing with spherical coordinates and the variable you are calling p is actually the spherical coordinate usually denoted as [itex]\rho[/itex]. And, what's worse, the x and y in your equation also don't represent the cartesian x and y. Here's what I think your given equation should be:

[tex]\rho = 2\sin(\phi)cos(\theta)[/tex]

where [itex](\rho,\phi, \theta)[/itex] are the spherical coordinates of (x,y,z). Try following your argument knowing that and using the usual spherical coordinate formulas.

You're right. That is supposed to be the right equation, but I just used x and y because I didn't understand how to use the symbols lol. I was/am browsing through my textbook and notes, but was unable to find to relate rho, phi, and theta to spherical coordinates. I understand that x^2 + y^2 and z^2 is the spherical formula, but I still don't understand the 2x portion.

Oh! I finally get it now lol. thank you

Related to Calculus 3 Problem (explain solution)

1. What is Calculus 3?

Calculus 3, also known as Multivariable Calculus, is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions of two or more variables. It builds upon the concepts of Calculus 1 and 2, focusing on the analysis of functions in multiple dimensions.

2. What is a "Calculus 3 problem"?

A Calculus 3 problem refers to a mathematical problem or exercise that involves the use of techniques and concepts from Multivariable Calculus. These problems typically involve functions of multiple variables, and may require the use of vectors, partial derivatives, and multiple integrals.

3. How do you approach solving a Calculus 3 problem?

To solve a Calculus 3 problem, it is important to first identify the variables and functions involved. Then, analyze the problem to determine which concepts and techniques from Multivariable Calculus are relevant. From there, use appropriate methods, such as vector operations, partial differentiation, and integration, to find a solution.

4. What makes Calculus 3 different from Calculus 1 and 2?

Calculus 3 differs from Calculus 1 and 2 in that it deals with functions of multiple variables, as opposed to just one variable. This adds an extra dimension to the analysis and requires the use of new techniques, such as vector calculus, to solve problems.

5. How is Calculus 3 applied in real life?

Calculus 3 has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. It is used to model and analyze complex systems with multiple variables, such as fluid flow, electric fields, and economic markets. It also has applications in optimization and machine learning algorithms.