Calibrating a strain gauge/thermistor?

• Thread starter Robbie-Eng
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Strain
In summary, when calibrating a strain gauge/thermistor, a wheatstone bridge is typically used to measure the change in resistance. The bridge must be balanced for accurate readings, and equations can be used to calculate the node voltages. However, to determine the true accuracy of the instrument, a comparison with a standard and a metrological analysis is necessary.
Robbie-Eng
Calibrating a strain gauge/thermistor?

Hey guys,

Im abit confused on the method of calibrating a strain gauge/thermistor, i know they both use a wheatstone bridge (resistance). At the moment i have gathered this information,

Transducers and sensors which produce a change in resistance are typically used in a bridge circuit. This consists of an arrangement of resistances supplied from a stable voltage source. For the bridge to be balanced, the ratio of resistances in each branch must be balanced. Any change in resistance will produce a potential difference between the two junctions. The values of resistance are designed so that the small change in resistance from the sensor will result in an improvement in resolution of the measurement.

Equations i have gathered:

VA=R3/(R3+R1)*Vin

VB=R2/(R4+R2)*Vin

Once i have found the two node voltages am i to substract them from each other to find the difference between them?

and from that answer can i then say for example i got a voltage output of 1v, can i say that 1v is equal to 1m in displacement for the strain gauge?

ive read that R4 is used to compensate for temperature variations and it is not subjected to stress, R3 is used to balance the bridge, R2 is replaced from the transducer and i am not sure what R1 is used for?

Engineering news on Phys.org

Yes. You can use the output from the wheatstone bridge and those equations to approximate the strain/temperature but it won't give you a value with a small amount of uncertainty.

For situations like this you really need to compare the device standard and perform a metrological analysis and all that good stuff to determine the true accuracy of the instrument.

1. What is the purpose of calibrating a strain gauge/thermistor?

Calibrating a strain gauge/thermistor is necessary to ensure accurate and precise measurements of strain or temperature. It involves comparing the output of the sensor to known values and making any necessary adjustments to improve its accuracy.

2. How often should strain gauges/thermistors be calibrated?

The frequency of calibration depends on the specific application and the manufacturer's recommendations. In general, strain gauges/thermistors should be calibrated at regular intervals, such as annually or after a certain number of uses, to ensure reliable and consistent measurements.

3. Can I calibrate a strain gauge/thermistor myself?

It is possible to calibrate a strain gauge/thermistor yourself if you have the necessary equipment and expertise. However, it is recommended to have it calibrated by a professional calibration service to ensure accuracy and precision.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of a strain gauge/thermistor?

The accuracy of a strain gauge/thermistor can be affected by various factors, such as environmental conditions (e.g. temperature, humidity), physical damage or wear, and improper installation or handling. It is important to regularly calibrate the sensor to account for these factors and maintain its accuracy.

5. How do I know if my strain gauge/thermistor needs to be recalibrated?

If you notice a discrepancy between the measurements of your strain gauge/thermistor and expected values, it may be time to recalibrate the sensor. Other signs that indicate the need for recalibration include physical damage to the sensor, changes in environmental conditions, or if it has not been calibrated in a long time.