Solving series-parallel circuits

• Thread starter LR5
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuits
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of current and voltage divider rules to solve series-parallel circuits. The individual provides their calculations for determining the voltage drop across R4 and expresses uncertainty about the correctness of their methods and calculations. They are then asked to show their work in reducing the circuit step by step.
LR5
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Template is shown.
Summary:: Solving series-parallel circuits using current and voltage divider rule

1586343491063.jpeg

For the attached circuit, I need to determine the voltage drop across R4 using the voltage divider rule.
So far, I have determined total resistance to be R = 383Ω, total current I = 0.03A, and I3 = 0.023A.
I think these are correct.
I then get V through R1 and R2 to be 2.97V, therefore V for the rest of the circuit is 9.03V. Then the voltage for AB should be 9.03V.
Then V for R4 and R5 would be V ab (R45/(R45 + R3) = 9.03 x (41/371) = 1V.
I'm not sure if my methods and calculations are correct as this is very confusing :nb)

Physics news on Phys.org
LR5 said:
I'm not sure if my methods and calculations are correct as this is very confusing :nb)
How would we know if you are correct, as you show no work on getting the resistance? Show ALL the work used in reducing the circuit, step by step.

What is a series-parallel circuit?

A series-parallel circuit is a combination of both series and parallel circuits. It consists of multiple components connected in both series and parallel branches.

How do you solve a series-parallel circuit?

To solve a series-parallel circuit, you first need to identify the components connected in series and parallel. Then, you can use Ohm's Law and Kirchhoff's Laws to calculate the total resistance, current, and voltage in the circuit.

What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, components are connected one after the other, creating a single pathway for current to flow. In a parallel circuit, components are connected in separate branches, allowing for multiple pathways for current to flow.

What is the total resistance of a series-parallel circuit?

The total resistance of a series-parallel circuit is equal to the sum of the resistances in the series branches. However, if there are parallel branches, the total resistance will be less than the smallest resistance in the circuit.

How do you calculate the total current in a series-parallel circuit?

To calculate the total current in a series-parallel circuit, you can use Kirchhoff's Current Law, which states that the total current entering a junction is equal to the total current leaving the junction. This means that the total current in a series-parallel circuit is the same at any point in the circuit.