Calorimeter Constant: Hot/Cold Water - Find & Check

In summary: So, you need to add specific heat of calorimeter material times its mass to the equation for ΔH of hot water. Then, you can calculate the calorimeter constant by dividing ΔH with ΔT. In summary, to determine the calorimeter constant, you need to add the specific heat of the calorimeter material and its mass to the equation for ΔH of hot water. Then, divide the resulting ΔH by the change in temperature (ΔT) to get the calorimeter constant.
imapeiceofwod
Hot water:
v- 50ml
delta t = -28.5

Cold water
v=50ml
delta t = 24.5

delta H of warmwater is a 50g(4.184)(-28.5) = -5962.6
delta H of cold water = 5125.45

From there i don't know what to do to find the Calorimeter constant any help? Also i did the above calculations correct right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Please elaborate on what you did on what you are calculating. What you wrote is hopelessly incomplete.

imapeiceofwod said:
I have to determine the calorimeter constant give this data. The hot water is measure and poured into the cold water. I found delta H of the warm and cold water from there I am unsure what i got to do to determine the constant...

Hot water:
v- 50ml
delta T = -28.5 degrees celcius

Cold water
v=50ml
delta T = 24.5 ceclius

delta H =mc delta T
delta H of warmwater is a 50g(4.184)(-28.5) = -5962.6 J
delta H of cold water = 5125.45 J

From there i don't know what to do to find the Calorimeter constant any help? Also i did the above calculations correct right?

fixed, hopefully it more understandable

Much better, although I am still not sure about ΔT listed - are these initial minus final respectively? Is 24.5 difference between initial temperature of calorimeter plus 50 mL of cold water and final temperature of everything?

Borek said:
Much better, although I am still not sure about ΔT listed - are these initial minus final respectively? Is 24.5 difference between initial temperature of calorimeter plus 50 mL of cold water and final temperature of everything?

here are the initial values.
Temp of hot water = 75 degrees C
temp of cold water 22 degrees C
Final temp of mixture 46.5 C

With those values i determined delta T

OK, as I expected, you forgot that you are heating not only cold water.

1. What is a calorimeter constant?

A calorimeter constant is a value that represents the specific heat capacity and thermal conductivity of a calorimeter. It is used to calculate the amount of heat absorbed or released in a chemical reaction or physical process.

2. How is the calorimeter constant determined?

The calorimeter constant is determined by performing a calibration experiment using known quantities of hot and cold water. The change in temperature of each water sample is measured and used to calculate the calorimeter constant.

3. Why is it important to find and check the calorimeter constant?

The accuracy of the calorimeter constant is crucial in accurately measuring the heat flow in a reaction or process. Finding and checking the constant ensures that the calorimeter is properly calibrated and can provide reliable data.

4. How does the calorimeter constant affect the results of an experiment?

The calorimeter constant is used in the calculation of the heat transfer in an experiment. If the constant is incorrect, it can result in inaccurate measurements and affect the overall results of the experiment.

5. Can the calorimeter constant change over time?

Yes, the calorimeter constant can change over time due to factors such as wear and tear of the equipment, changes in the environment, or contamination of the calorimeter. It is important to regularly check and recalibrate the constant to ensure accurate measurements.