Camelopardalis meteor shower (storm?) May 23/24

In summary: JohnIn summary, a new meteor shower called Comet 209P/Linear is expected to occur next week in the northern hemisphere. It is predicted to produce over 200 events per hour and will originate from the circumpolar constellation Camelopardalis, making it visible all night. However, it will not be visible to observers in the southern hemisphere and those near the equator due to light pollution. Even for those in the northern hemisphere, light pollution and weather may hinder visibility. Some individuals have expressed nostalgia for clear skies and the ability to see astronomical events.
TumblingDice
Gold Member
A new meteor shower will light up the sky next week in the northern hemisphere. Comet 209P/Linear is forcast by some to produce 200+ events per hour hour overnight on May 23/24.

Incoming will originate from Camelopardalis, a circumpolar constellation (so it will be "up all night!")

http://www.space.com/25836-new-meteor-shower-comet-209p-linear.html

Astronomy news on Phys.org
cool ... but no good for sthrn hemisphere observers :frown:Dave

Not good for equator guys too.
My sky is so light polluted that I can't even see the Orion nebula.I need a 7X binoculars to see it the was I saw it on my island 2 years ago. I miss that sky so much :cry:

davenn said:
cool ... but no good for sthrn hemisphere observers :frown:

adjacent said:
Not good for equator guys too.
My sky is so light polluted that I can't even see the Orion nebula.I need a 7X binoculars to see it the was I saw it on my island 2 years ago. I miss that sky so much :cry:

And for northern hemispherers. Light pollution is a curse in cities, with the weather rendering the skies opaque. Even on a clear cold night, new moon, power cut, with a 700mm refractor 60mm aperture at 35x zoom.. I couldn't believe I was lookin at the orion nebula.. all I saw were two stars (the two doublets of the Trapezium) :cry:

did anyone get to see this shower a few days ago ??

how did it look ?

cheers
Dave

1. What is the Camelopardalis meteor shower/storm?

The Camelopardalis meteor shower, also known as the Camelopardalids, is an annual meteor shower that occurs in late May. It is caused by the debris from Comet 209P/LINEAR, which was discovered in 2004.

2. When is the peak of the Camelopardalis meteor shower/storm?

The peak of the Camelopardalis meteor shower usually occurs on the night of May 23rd and into the early morning of May 24th. However, the exact date and time may vary slightly each year.

3. How many meteors can be seen during the Camelopardalis meteor shower/storm?

The Camelopardalis meteor shower is not a very active shower, and the number of meteors visible varies each year. On average, there are only about 5-10 meteors per hour, but there have been some years where there were up to 200 meteors per hour.

4. Where is the best place to view the Camelopardalis meteor shower/storm?

The Camelopardalis meteor shower can be seen from all over the world, but the best viewing conditions are in the Northern Hemisphere. It is recommended to find a dark, open area away from city lights for the best viewing experience.

5. How can I photograph the Camelopardalis meteor shower/storm?

The best way to photograph the Camelopardalis meteor shower is to use a DSLR camera with a tripod. Set your camera to a long exposure, and point it towards the radiant point of the shower (near the constellation Camelopardalis). Patience is key, as it may take some time to capture a meteor in your photo.