Can 96-Cm-247 Undergo Alpha Decay?

In summary, alpha decay is a type of radioactive decay in which an unstable atomic nucleus emits an alpha particle to become a more stable element. The element 96-Cm-247, also known as Curium-247, is significant in alpha decay because it undergoes both spontaneous fission and alpha decay. Its half-life is approximately 15.6 million years, and the emitted alpha particles can be harmful to living organisms. However, alpha decay of 96-Cm-247 is also used in scientific research, particularly in the fields of nuclear physics, astrophysics, and medical imaging.
dcarmichael
Homework Statement
We are asked to calculate the half life of 96-Cm-247 using equations from class, and to compare this calculated value to the real value. When comparing there appears to be a very large discrepancy. I'm wondering if this is to be expected or if there is a calculation error on my part. Ill attach my attempt at a solution
Relevant Equations
attached
nuclear 1.jpg
Nuclear 2.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
I am unable to read your attachments. I suggest you type in your calculations. Try to use latex.

thank you I will update it.

1. What is alpha decay?

Alpha decay is a type of radioactive decay in which an atomic nucleus emits an alpha particle (consisting of two protons and two neutrons) to become a different, more stable element.

2. Can 96-Cm-247 undergo alpha decay?

Yes, 96-Cm-247 (Cm standing for Curium) is a radioactive isotope that can undergo alpha decay.

3. How long does it take for 96-Cm-247 to undergo alpha decay?

The half-life of 96-Cm-247 is approximately 15.6 million years, meaning it takes that amount of time for half of the initial amount of the isotope to undergo alpha decay.

4. What is the product of 96-Cm-247 alpha decay?

The product of 96-Cm-247 alpha decay is 94-Pu-243 (Pu standing for Plutonium).

5. Is alpha decay dangerous?

Alpha decay can be dangerous if a person is exposed to a large amount of alpha particles, as they can damage cells and cause health problems. However, the amount of alpha particles emitted during decay is usually very small and can be shielded by materials such as paper or skin.