How to Charge a 4P 1S cylinder Lipo Pack

In summary, the person is trying to make a battery pack using 4 cylindrical lithium ion batteries from hobby king. However, when they tried to charge the pack at 5C, it only drew around 3 amps instead of the expected 24 amps. They are wondering if they are charging it wrong and if there is a way to charge it at 5C. It is advised to do some research before attempting to make a LiPo battery charger.
Puglife
Hello, I have recently bought 4 cylindrical lithium ion batteries from hobby king to make a battery pack. To do this, I put all 4 of them in Parallel, so that the voltage would stay the same, but the capacity would increase. It says on Hobby king that they can charge at 5C, and since they are 1200 milliamp hours, they should each be charging at 6 amps. When I connected the Positive and Negitive End of my Pack to a 4.2 volt dc source, it only drew in total around 3 amps. Am I charging it wrong? is their some way that I can charge it at 5C that I am not doing? Can I just connect it to a 4.2 volt source? Shouldnt it be taking in 24 amps? Thank you all, your help is really appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Puglife said:
Hello, I have recently bought 4 cylindrical lithium ion batteries from hobby king to make a battery pack. To do this, I put all 4 of them in Parallel, so that the voltage would stay the same, but the capacity would increase. It says on Hobby king that they can charge at 5C, and since they are 1200 milliamp hours, they should each be charging at 6 amps. When I connected the Positive and Negitive End of my Pack to a 4.2 volt dc source, it only drew in total around 3 amps. Am I charging it wrong? is their some way that I can charge it at 5C that I am not doing? Can I just connect it to a 4.2 volt source? Shouldnt it be taking in 24 amps? Thank you all, your help is really appreciated.
What you are doing is potentially dangerous. Please do some reading before trying to make your own LiPo battery charger...

https://learn.adafruit.com/multi-cell-lipo-charging/overview

1. How do I know when my 4P 1S cylinder Lipo pack needs to be charged?

The best way to determine when to charge your battery pack is to use a voltage checker or a battery charger with a built-in voltage meter. A fully charged Lipo pack will have a voltage of around 4.2 volts per cell, while a discharged pack will have a voltage of around 3.2 volts per cell.

2. Can I use any charger to charge my 4P 1S cylinder Lipo pack?

No, it is important to use a charger specifically designed for Lipo batteries. Using the wrong charger can damage the battery or even cause a fire. Make sure to read the charger's specifications to ensure it is compatible with your battery pack.

3. How long does it take to fully charge a 4P 1S cylinder Lipo pack?

The charging time can vary depending on the charger and the current charge level of the battery. On average, it can take between 1-2 hours to fully charge a Lipo pack. It is important to monitor the battery while charging and never leave it unattended.

4. How should I store my 4P 1S cylinder Lipo pack when it is not in use?

Lipo batteries should be stored at around 50% charge in a cool, dry place. It is important to store them away from flammable materials and never leave them in a hot car or direct sunlight. It is also recommended to use a Lipo-safe bag for storage to prevent any potential fire hazards.

5. Can I overcharge my 4P 1S cylinder Lipo pack?

Yes, overcharging a Lipo battery can cause it to overheat and potentially catch fire. It is important to monitor the battery while charging and never leave it unattended. Most modern chargers have safety features to prevent overcharging, but it is still important to follow the recommended charging time and never leave the battery charging overnight.