Can a Car Alternator Function as a Battery to Power a Motor?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using a car alternator to power a motor, with one participant sharing their experience in converting AC power to DC power for use in testing cruise missiles. The conversation also mentions the importance of understanding basic electronics and safety precautions when working with alternators and electricity. Ultimately, it is suggested that the individual seek help from someone with the necessary knowledge and experience.
Atomic80
Hello, Is it possible for a car alternator to work like a battery and power a motor?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sure. The alternator produces AC power that is rectified to DC for use in an automobile. You can use either the DC or the AC to power a motor. This is a similar method to the one we used in the Air Force to convert 60 Hz Mains AC power to 400 Hz AC power for use in testing our cruise missiles. We had several large generators which used the Mains AC electricity to power a motor to turn a generator that produced the 400 Hz AC power. So electrical power is converted to mechanical power which is then converted back to another type of electrical power.

Likes Atomic80
Atomic80 said:
Hello, Is it possible for a car alternator to work like a battery and power a motor?
Not only is it possible, it is exactly what is happening when the car is running. Things like the power windows are powered by the alternator when the car is running and by the battery if the gas is turned off.

Likes sophiecentaur and Atomic80
Atomic80 said:
What you need to learn is, a generator or alternator, no matter what power rating, will only produce power equal to the load placed against it. There's a lot more to this but the main point is from production to use there has to be the accounting of air friction, bearing, and internal hysteresis losses.
Well you will get some better answers I'm sure. :smile:

Likes sophiecentaur and Atomic80
phinds said:
Not only is it possible, it is exactly what is happening when the car is running. Things like the power windows are powered by the alternator when the car is running and by the battery if the gas is turned off.
phinds said:
So if I wanted an alternator with positive and negative coming from it, is that possible?

Atomic80 said:
So if I wanted an alternator with positive and negative coming from it, is that possible?

Alternators without some sort of rectifier output an AC signal that alternates between positive and negative for each lead/terminal. With a rectifier, the output is DC, with one positive and one negative lead/terminal.

This is all extremely basic electronics information and if you're planning on doing a project with an alternator you need to learn these basics before starting. Not only so your project will be easier, but because failing to learn them is a safety hazard. Even relatively low voltages can still cause nerve damage, burns, and sometimes death.

Likes Atomic80
Atomic80 said:
If you mean two different voltages levels, one positive and one negative (for example +12V and -5V) then no. If you mean just a positive terminal and a ground terminal the see Drakkith's answer.

Likes Atomic80
Drakkith said:
Alternators without some sort of rectifier output an AC signal that alternates between positive and negative for each lead/terminal. With a rectifier, the output is DC, with one positive and one negative lead/terminal. So where can I get this done?

This is all extremely basic electronics information and if you're planning on doing a project with an alternator you need to learn these basics before starting. Not only so your project will be easier, but because failing to learn them is a safety hazard. Even relatively low voltages can still cause nerve damage, burns, and sometimes death.

So how do I get the ground from the alternator?

Atomic80 said:
So how do I get the ground from the alternator?
? An alternator has two output terminals. One is ground. I think, as Drakkith suggested, you had best study some basic electronics before you go any further at all.

Likes cabraham
phinds said:
? An alternator has two output terminals. One is ground. I think, as Drakkith suggested, you had best study some basic electronics before you go any further at all.

I thought that the ground came from the battery?

Atomic80 said:
The ground goes throughout the car. Again, study some basics.

Thread locked for moderation.

Atomic80 said:

Atomic80, I highly recommend you find a someone locally with the required knowledge to help you with your project. Unfortunately, electrical work is very dangerous without a proper understanding of the basics and it would be extremely difficult to teach you in a setting such as PF. Per our policies regarding safety and dangerous activities, I cannot allow this thread to remain open.

Thread will remain closed.

1. Can a car alternator be used as a battery to power a motor?

No, a car alternator cannot function as a battery to power a motor. The purpose of an alternator is to charge the car's battery, not to act as a battery itself. It is designed to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy and cannot store electrical energy like a battery can.

2. Why can't a car alternator be used as a battery to power a motor?

As mentioned earlier, a car alternator is not designed to store electrical energy like a battery. It lacks the necessary components, such as a chemical reaction, to store and release energy. Additionally, the voltage output of an alternator is not stable enough to power a motor consistently.

3. Is there a way to modify a car alternator to function as a battery for a motor?

No, it is not possible to modify a car alternator to function as a battery for a motor. The internal components and design of an alternator make it incapable of storing and releasing energy like a battery. It is best to use a proper battery for powering a motor.

4. Can a car alternator be used to charge a battery for a motor?

Yes, a car alternator can be used to charge a battery for a motor. In fact, this is its primary function in a car. The alternator uses the engine's mechanical energy to generate electrical energy, which is then used to charge the car's battery. The battery can then be used to power the motor.

5. Are there any alternative ways to power a motor besides using a battery or alternator?

Yes, there are other ways to power a motor besides using a battery or alternator. Some common alternatives include solar panels, fuel cells, and generators. These options may be more suitable for certain applications, but a battery or alternator is typically used for powering a motor in a car or similar vehicle.