Powering My Car's Electric Turbo: Alternators & Battery Charge

• Thread starter joseph707
  • Start date
In summary: So if you're looking to power a lot of electronics, or your car has a high output electrical system (like an electric turbo), then a larger unit may be more appropriate.
joseph707
TL;DR Summary
I need 240 watts to power an electric turbo.
I need 240 watts to power an electric turbo on my car. Can I install a separate alternator dedicated to the electric turbo only, and if so how? Or do I need only one high watt alternator, and what about battery charge?

Engineering news on Phys.org
joseph707 said:
I need 240 watts to power an electric turbo on my car.
A “turbo” is a "turbo-charger" which has an exhaust turbine driving the air pump. You want to replace the turbine with an electric motor, which makes it an electric “super-charger”.

You can do any of the things you suggest. Do you have room for another alternator? What are the specifications for the electric motor on the super-charger you will use?

Likes russ_watters
joseph707 said:
Can I install a separate alternator dedicated to the electric turbo only, and if so how?
Unless you have some experience in this kind of modifications/tuning and/or it's already some 'does not matter' kind of vehicle, I suggest to find somebody who already made similar feats (or buy a modkit, with detailed instructions, if available).

These kind of things are dangerous enough on their own: done by somebody inexperienced would not help.

Likes cabraham
joseph707 said:
Or do I need only one high watt alternator, and what about battery charge?
We cannot tell if your existing alternator can provide the current, because we do not know the make and model of the vehicle or alternator. Alternator catalogues often list compatible alternators with different capacity. It is possible that replacing filament headlamps with LEDs could provide the extra current needed without replacing the alternator.

A normal supercharger can draw up to 20% of engine power, eg 40hp from a 200hp engine.

Your electric one draws 240W, or about 0.3 hp, or about 1/100 that of a conventional type. I can’t imagine it would return a noticeable amount of power.

In any case, 240W requires somewhere under 20A, and would be drawn ‘on boost’ so I would guess your alternator already has enough headroom to cope.

Likes jrmichler
Guineafowl said:
I can’t imagine it would return a noticeable amount of power.

This company:
http://www.supergen.co.uk/default.asp?contentID=589

Sells them and the smallest one they sell is a 10kW unit. It comes with an integrated 5kW generator. You also need another battery installed.

0.24kW does seem a bit small.

BoB

Guineafowl said:
I can’t imagine it would return a noticeable amount of power.
rbelli1 said:
0.24kW does seem a bit small.
That is what I thought also at first, but - if I understood correctly - they are used as a booster shot of power, a little bit like nitrous oxide systems are used.

• Informative
Likes Tom.G

1. How does an electric turbo work?

An electric turbo uses an electric motor to spin the compressor wheel, which compresses the air entering the engine. This compressed air allows for more fuel to be burned, resulting in increased power and efficiency.

2. What is the purpose of an alternator in an electric turbo system?

The alternator is responsible for converting mechanical energy from the engine into electrical energy, which is then used to power the electric turbo. It also charges the car's battery, ensuring a continuous supply of electricity for the turbo.

3. Can I use any alternator for an electric turbo?

No, not all alternators are suitable for use in an electric turbo system. It is important to choose an alternator that can handle the increased electrical load and has the correct voltage and amperage output for your specific turbo setup.

4. How does the battery charge affect the performance of my electric turbo?

The battery charge is crucial for the proper functioning of an electric turbo. A low battery charge can result in a weaker electrical current, leading to decreased performance and potential damage to the turbo. It is important to regularly check and maintain the battery charge to ensure optimal performance.

5. Are there any maintenance tips for keeping my electric turbo and alternator in good condition?

Regularly check and clean the air filter, as a dirty filter can restrict airflow and decrease turbo performance. It is also important to check the alternator and battery connections for any corrosion or loose connections. Additionally, following the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule for your specific electric turbo system can help ensure its longevity and performance.