Can a Circuit Be Powered by Both USB and DC Supply Simultaneously?

In summary, this circuit will be able to split an analog video signal to multiple outputs, but will need to be switched to DC power when there is voltage applied to the DC input jack. The chip mentioned will be able to switch seamlessly between a 5V DC supply and 5V from the USB.
xortan
Hello everyone,

I am designing the power system of a new circuit. It will receive an analog video signal and then be able to split that video signal to multiple outputs. I would like to have multiple ways to power the circuit depending on the application. One way to power the device will be by apply a DC voltage to the circuit and the other way will be by using the 5V from the USB.

The USB needs to be connected at all times for the communication. We may use this circuit in other places as just a receiver/splitter and the USB will not be required and it will be powered from the DC voltage. We may have an application where we don't want the DC voltage and will power just from USB. For the current application we will have the USB and adapter connected at the same time.

I am having problems trying to find a chip where I can have an adapter plugged in and a USB at the same time. If someone could please point me in the right direction of how to accomplish this it would be greatly appreciated. I am fairly new to electronics design (only graduated a year ago).

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
You want to switch to DC power (and not draw from USB +5) when there is voltage applied to the DC input jack.
Does it need to work dynamically without missing a beat? For example, if I am watching video and plug in the DC supply, does it have to switch glitchlessly?
That makes it a bit harder. (need to be careful)

I'd use pmos mosfets to implement a SPDT switch that seamlessly switches to DC when DC is plugged in.

Can you use this?
http://www.micrel.com/index.php/pro.../dual-high-side-pwr-sw/article/5-mic1344.html

Yes, I would like to switch to DC power when there is voltage applied to the jack and not draw from the USB +5V.

I don't think it needs to work dynamically like that. The circuit will always be placed inside an enclosure and the USB cable or DC supply will already be wired up depending on the application. There is no situation where a customer will be viewing video and have to open the enclosure and supply power to the device. If it can be switched without a glitch I think that is an added benefit but not a requirement.

That chip looks interesting. It states it will automatically select between the higher of the two input voltages. I don't know how I can make that work when switching between a 5V DC supply and 5V from the USB.

xortan said:
That chip looks interesting. It states it will automatically select between the higher of the two input voltages. I don't know how I can make that work when switching between a 5V DC supply and 5V from the USB.

Don't use automatic mode. Use some logic to drive ENA and ENB based on whether DC is connected.

Likes xortan
Okay, I understand. Thanks so much for the help! I really appreciate it. :)

1. What does "Powered By USB or DC Supply" mean?

"Powered By USB or DC Supply" means that the device can be powered either through a USB port or a direct current (DC) power supply.

2. Can I use any USB port to power the device?

Yes, any standard USB port can be used to power the device. However, it is recommended to use a USB port with enough power output to ensure proper functioning of the device.

3. What is the advantage of having a "Powered By USB or DC Supply" device?

The main advantage is flexibility and convenience. With the option to be powered by either a USB port or DC supply, the device can be used in a variety of settings and can be easily powered by a laptop, power bank, or wall outlet.

4. Are there any limitations to using a USB port to power the device?

Yes, there may be limitations in terms of power output. Some USB ports may not have enough power to fully power the device, which can result in slower performance or malfunctions. It is important to check the power requirements of the device and use a USB port with enough power output.

5. Can I switch between USB and DC power while the device is in use?

In most cases, it is not recommended to switch between USB and DC power while the device is in use. This can cause disruptions and potentially damage the device. It is best to power off the device before switching power sources.