Can a Continuous and Integrable Function Have an Infinite Limit?

In summary, the speaker is looking for a positive real-valued function that is continuous and integrable on all of R, but has a limit of infinity as x approaches infinity. They mention using spikes of decreasing width to achieve this and ask for help in finding an exact formula for the function. Another speaker suggests using spikes of growing height and shrinking width and recommends using the series \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_n < \infty to determine the function's intervals.
lynxman72
Hi all, I'm looking for a positive real-valued function definition on all of R such that the function f(x) is continuous and integrable (the improper integral from -infinity to infinity exists and is finite) but that lim sup f(x)=infinity as x goes to infinity. I'm thinking about something with spikes of decreasing width but I'm not sure how to get an exact formula for the function or if this is the right idea. Any help is much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, spikes (triangles) of growing height and shrinking width is the right idea. Let your function be 0 for negative x. On the right, look at intervals [n, n+1) for n = 0,1,2,... Make these intervals [n,n+1) correspond to a number an such that the series:

[tex]\sum _{n=0}^{\infty}a_n < \infty[/tex]

Related to Can a Continuous and Integrable Function Have an Infinite Limit?

1. What is a calculus counterexample?

A calculus counterexample is a specific scenario or example that disproves a conjecture or statement in calculus. It is used to show that a general statement or theorem does not hold in all cases.

2. Why are calculus counterexamples important?

Calculus counterexamples are important because they help to improve our understanding of calculus and identify any flaws or limitations in existing theories and concepts. They also encourage critical thinking and the development of new and more accurate theories.

3. How are calculus counterexamples used in mathematics?

In mathematics, calculus counterexamples are used to challenge and disprove mathematical statements and theories. They are also used to identify gaps in existing knowledge and inspire further research and development.

4. What are some examples of calculus counterexamples?

Some examples of calculus counterexamples include the non-existence of a limit for a function at a certain point, the non-uniqueness of a derivative at a point, and the non-continuity of a function at a point. These counterexamples challenge the commonly held beliefs and assumptions in calculus.

5. How can I use calculus counterexamples in my own work?

If you are a mathematician or scientist working in the field of calculus, you can use calculus counterexamples to test the validity of your own theories and statements. By identifying counterexamples, you can refine and improve your work, ultimately leading to a deeper understanding and advancement in the field of calculus.