Can a DIY Fresnel Lens Concentrator be Created Using a Rotating Liquid Mold?

In summary: shape should then act as a good template for casting a transmission fresnel lens. It is possible to make a lens with different radial slopes for the different rings, but it would require a lot of planning and precision in the manufacturing process. It is also possible to fill the lens with resin from the inside, but this would require a retardant to get the levels right before it sets.
synch
Just running an idea for a diy fresnel lens past ..

[ In the context that parabolic mirrors have been created by rotating a liquid ] The volume left above
the parabola is also parabolic, so ...if that volume is used as a mold for casting it should form a reasonable solid lens, at least for concentrating a parallel beam to a point. (?)

It then follows that a set of concentric cylinders should form a set of shallow concentric ring-shaped parabolic curves, which would be inefficient as a reflection mirror as reflections near the edge are blocked by the edges - but the shape should then act as a good template for casting a transmission fresnel lens (?) In fact a simple rectangular grid should be ok. Eg an ice-cube mold should work at least for some resins.

So - if anyone wants to try it - the idea would be to partially fill an ice-cube tray with resin, rotate it slowly while it sets, then use as a mold to cast the inverse shape.The inverse shape should then be a diy fresnel (I think ) Does that sound realistic ? (The intent being, the lens use as a fairly crude concentrator, not a high-grade optic ). Could get kind of messy though.

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll probably need different parabolas for the different rings in the lens - with well-defined relations. Not impossible, but it doesn't sound easy. And then you have to combine them to a single lens.

mfb said:
You'll probably need different parabolas for the different rings in the lens - with well-defined relations. Not impossible, but it doesn't sound easy. And then you have to combine them to a single lens.
I can't think of a reason why the slope on any rotating ring would be different from the slope of the full paraboloid at that radius. Once equilibrium is reached, wouldn't the hydrostatic pressure on the walls of the ring be the same as the pressure at that radius in the full paraboloid, making the curve the same? To make the best fresnel lens, it would be necessary to get the initial levels in the rings right. You have to minimise the masking of the walls in the direction of the focus so the walls would need to slope 'inwards' so that they are parallel with the rays going to the focus. The sloping sections are 'wasted' parts of the fresnel lens area, though. But that aspect of the design is common to all fresnel reflectors so there would be loads of info about it.
I just realized; you could probably fill the mould from the inside and the resin would move outwards, filling each ring to the outside rim. You'd need to have a retardant to get the levels right before it sets.

sophiecentaur said:
I can't think of a reason why the slope on any rotating ring would be different from the slope of the full paraboloid at that radius.
That's not what I said. I was talking about the slopes you need in the lens, and in particular the slope as function of radius of the lens.

mfb said:
That's not what I said. I was talking about the slopes you need in the lens, and in particular the slope as function of radius of the lens.
You are right that the focus for each ring would be different by the amount the section is displaced back from its natural position on the full parabola. But if the reflector is chosen to have a long focus this would not matter for an energy concentrator (Low optical quality) and also, a shallow fresnel reflector would be more efficient.
If the optical quality had to be better then it's true that the different rings should be spun at different rpm. The focussing could be adjusted during manufacture - one ring at a time with a sensor at the required focus point. Later, the reflection would be improved by silvering.

Will your resin be adequately UV stable ?

Aside from that, you can get inexpensive 'legal-sized' Fresnel magnifier panels for reading aids. If you cannot use them due UV degradation, can you take casts with a UV-stable resin ?? You may have to take a ''negative' cast with silicone,. then cast from that...

Nik_2213 said:
Will your resin be adequately UV stable ?
I understood the OP to be referring to a reflector. That would be coated with a reflecting surface so UV stability need not be an issue. Also, an ideal lens would not be a paraboloid so this particular method of manufacture wouldn't apply.

OP wrote, "...but the shape should then act as a good template for casting a transmission fresnel lens ..."

Good points, yes I was thinking of a lens but the mirror would be good as well. The actual polymer for a lens would be a careful choice , wrt UV and heat loss.
The idea would be to align the light from multiple zones without a precise focus effect within each element. I hadn't thought of using different rotation rates to bring the zone focii into alignment, that could be quite nifty.

1. What is a Fresnel lens concentrator and how does it work?

A Fresnel lens concentrator is a type of lens that is made up of a series of concentric grooves on its surface. These grooves help to reduce the weight and thickness of the lens while maintaining its optical properties. It works by bending and focusing light rays onto a smaller area, allowing for a higher concentration of light.

2. Can I make my own Fresnel lens concentrator at home?

Yes, it is possible to make your own Fresnel lens concentrator at home using basic materials and tools. However, it requires precision and caution as the lens must be accurately cut and assembled in order to function properly.

3. What materials do I need to make a Fresnel lens concentrator?

To make a Fresnel lens concentrator, you will need a flat sheet of clear plastic, such as acrylic or polycarbonate, a sharp knife or scissors, a ruler, and a black permanent marker. Optional materials include sandpaper, a heat source, and a frame to hold the lens in place.

4. What are the uses of a Fresnel lens concentrator?

A Fresnel lens concentrator has a wide range of uses, including solar power systems, lighting, photography, and projection. It can also be used in scientific research and experiments.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when making a Fresnel lens concentrator?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when making a Fresnel lens concentrator. The lens can focus sunlight and create a concentrated beam of heat, which can cause burns or start fires. It is important to wear protective gear, work in a well-ventilated area, and handle the lens with caution.