Can a Flip Phone Be Converted into a Portable Battery Pack?

In summary, the conversation discussed the idea of turning an old flip phone into a portable battery pack. It was mentioned that most battery operated systems draw from the battery when not charging and from the charging source when charging. However, attempting to draw from the battery while it is being charged could disrupt the charger profile. The suggestion of trying to reverse engineer the battery control system was also brought up, but it may not be worth the effort when affordable options are readily available.
requiem31
So I have an old flip phone here that I wanted to turn into a portable battery pack because its winter break and I am bored. Whole thing is apart and good to go but I was wondering if there is any way to reverse the current. Obviously charging it one way, and then when you use it as a battery pack reverse it.

Engineering news on Phys.org
the way most battery operated systems work is that they draw from the battery when they are not charging, and from the charging source when they are charging. If you try to draw from the battery when it is being charged (by connecting to it manually), you will mess up the charger profile.

You need to try to reverse engineer the battery control system and determine where to connect to get power properly. But it will probably be a regulated voltage, not raw battery.

But, the circuit could be different than what I described.

I'm not sure precisely what you want to do, but it probably isn't worth the trouble when you can buy a 10,400mah high quality battery powered usb charger for <$25 (see
Xiaomi Mi Power), or even less.

1. What is a reverse cell phone battery?

A reverse cell phone battery is a type of battery that is designed to be inserted into a cell phone in the opposite direction of a traditional cell phone battery. This type of battery is typically used for emergency situations when the regular battery is dead or damaged.

2. How does a reverse cell phone battery work?

A reverse cell phone battery works by reversing the polarity of the battery. This means that the positive and negative terminals are switched, allowing the battery to be inserted into the phone in the opposite direction. This allows the phone to draw power from the battery in the same way it would from a traditional battery.

3. Can I use a reverse cell phone battery in any cell phone?

No, not all cell phones are compatible with reverse cell phone batteries. It is important to check the specifications of your phone to see if it can accept a reverse battery. Some older or more basic phones may not have the capability to use a reverse battery.

4. How long does a reverse cell phone battery last?

The lifespan of a reverse cell phone battery is similar to that of a regular battery. However, it is important to note that this type of battery is intended for emergency use only and should not be relied on as a long-term solution. It is best to replace a reverse battery with a traditional battery as soon as possible.

5. Are there any risks associated with using a reverse cell phone battery?

There are some potential risks associated with using a reverse cell phone battery. If the battery is inserted incorrectly, it could damage the phone or cause it to malfunction. It is also important to note that using a reverse battery may void the warranty of your phone. It is best to use a reverse battery only in emergency situations and to replace it with a traditional battery as soon as possible.