Can a Matrix be Recovered from Eigenvalues Alone?

In summary, it is not possible to recover a matrix from its eigenvalues or eigenvectors alone. The eigenvalues alone do not provide enough information to determine the original matrix, as there can be an infinite number of matrices with the same eigenvalues. Similarly, the eigenvectors alone do not reveal enough information, as different matrices can have the same eigenvectors.
Cylab
Hello

Is it possible to recover Matrix from eigenvalue alone?
that is, A = PDP^-1,,,
once only D (eigenvalues) is known,, without knowing eigenvectors,
is it possible to recover A?

Thanks

P.S. I will appreciate if you can provide me with some algorithms about recovering original matrix..:)

Physics news on Phys.org
No, you cannot "recover" the matrix from the eigenvalues alone for the simple reason that there exist an infinite number of matrics having the same eigenvalues.

If D is a given diagonal matrix, and P is any invertible matrix, then [itex]A= P^{-1}DP[/itex] is a matrix having the numbers on D's diagonal as eigenvalues. Different P matrices will, in general, give different matrices having the same eigenvalues.

It should be obvious that you can't do this just be counting the number of terms involved.

An n x n matrix has n2 terms which are all indepdent of each other. You can't re-create n2 different numbers from just n eigenvalues, unless n = 1.

Thanks a lot for your attention. They are really helpful.
How about opposite, that is,
Is it possible to recover Matrix from eigenspace alone (without knowing eigenvalues)?
Or does each erigenvector reveal some information?

Thanks again.

Again, no. for example, the matrices
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 \\ 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}2 & 0 \\ 0 & 3\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}6 & 0 \\ 0 & -1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
and, generally,
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}X & 0 \\ 0 & Y\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
for any x and y, all have i and j as eigenvectors but are different matrices with, of course, different eigenvalues.

To point out what should be obvious, two different matrices can have exactly the same eigenvalues and corresponding eigenvectors. In that case, they would be similar matrices.

1. How can I recover data from a corrupted matrix?

There are a few potential methods for recovering data from a corrupted matrix. One approach is to use matrix decomposition techniques, such as Singular Value Decomposition (SVD) or Principal Component Analysis (PCA), to identify and remove any corrupt or noisy data points. Another method is to use error-correcting codes, such as Reed-Solomon codes, to identify and correct errors in the matrix.

2. What tools or software can I use to recover a matrix?

There are several software programs that can be used to recover matrices, such as MATLAB, R, and Python. Additionally, there are specific data recovery software programs that can be used for this purpose. It's important to choose a tool that is appropriate for your specific needs and level of expertise.

3. Can a matrix be recovered if it has been completely overwritten?

In most cases, if a matrix has been completely overwritten, it cannot be recovered. However, if the original matrix was backed up or saved in another location, it may be possible to retrieve it. It's always a good idea to regularly back up important data to prevent permanent loss.

4. What steps can I take to prevent data loss in a matrix?

To prevent data loss in a matrix, it's important to regularly save and back up your data. This can be done manually or through automated processes. It's also important to regularly check for and address any potential hardware or software issues that could lead to data loss.

5. Is it possible to recover a matrix without any prior backups?

In some cases, it may be possible to recover a matrix without any prior backups. This depends on the specific cause of data loss and the complexity of the matrix. It's always best to regularly save and back up your data to prevent permanent loss in case of unexpected issues.