Diagonalizing a matrix given the eigenvalues

In summary, the matrix is not diagonalizable and the answer sheet says to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors.
Sunwoo Bae
Homework Statement
Diagonalize the matrix, given that its eigenvalues are λ= 2,5
Relevant Equations
For matrix A,
D=P-^1AP
A= PDP^-1
1621782157496.png

The following matrix is given.
Since the diagonal matrix can be written as C= PDP^-1, I need to determine P, D, and P^-1.
The answer sheet reads that the diagonal matrix D is as follows:
1621782479389.png

I understand that a diagonal matrix contains the eigenvalues in its diagonal orientation and that there must be three eigenvalues in the case of this problem as the number of eigenvalues equals the dimension of the matrix (3).
However, how do you determine rather 2 or 5 gets a multiplicity of 2?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the characteristic polynomial of C?

Likes Steve4Physics
In case it is not clear why you are told the eigenvalues (2, 5), it is because the person setting the question is very kind and doesn’t want you to waste your time solving cubic equations!

As @Orodruin says, start by finding the characteristic polynomial (which is a cubic).

From the eigenvalues, you know the characteristic polynomial must be either (λ-2)²(λ-5)=0 or (λ-5)²(λ-2)=0. And it’s easy to choose.

Since you know what the eigenvalues are, and you know that the matrix can be diagonalized. Then you simply need to compute the eigenvectors, then either 2 or 5 will have 2 eigenvectors while the other will have only one. Then that gives you which one has multiplicity 2.

Gaussian97 said:
Since you know what the eigenvalues are, and you know that the matrix can be diagonalized.
That's not necessarily true. If there are repeated eigenvalues, as in this problem, whether a repeated eigenvalue has more than one eigenvector depends on whether the eigenvalue multiplicity is algebraic multiplicity (the number of times the eigenvalue appears in the characteristic equation) or geometric multiplicity (the dimension of the eigenspace associated with the eigenvalue).

If the geometric multiplicity in this problem is only 1, then the matrix can't be diagonalized, at least by the usual means. (I vaguely remember that there is some technique for matrices with deficient eigenvectors, but don't recall the details off the top of my head.)

Mark44 said:
That's not necessarily true. If there are repeated eigenvalues, as in this problem, whether a repeated eigenvalue has more than one eigenvector depends on whether the eigenvalue multiplicity is algebraic multiplicity (the number of times the eigenvalue appears in the characteristic equation) or geometric multiplicity (the dimension of the eigenspace associated with the eigenvalue).

If the geometric multiplicity in this problem is only 1, then the matrix can't be diagonalized, at least by the usual means. (I vaguely remember that there is some technique for matrices with deficient eigenvectors, but don't recall the details off the top of my head.)
That's why I said, "Since you know what the eigenvalues are, and you know that the matrix can be diagonalized". If the matrix can be diagonalized, then its geometrical multiplicity must be equal to the algebraic multiplicity.

Gaussian97 said:
That's why I said, "Since you know what the eigenvalues are, and you know that the matrix can be diagonalized".
Just wanted to clarify that for someone who didn't have access to the answer sheet.

Mark44 said:
Just wanted to clarify that for someone who didn't have access to the answer sheet.
Yes, sure enough, the different multiplicities are a useful thing to keep in mind. But just to clarify, there's no need to access the answer sheet.
Even if they haven't yet proved that all symmetric matrices are diagonalizable and that the statement asks you to diagonalize the matrix and therefore it must be diagonalizable. There's no need of computing the algebraic multiplicity for this problem. Either the geometric multiplicities sum to 2, in which case the matrix is not diagonalizable or they sum to 3, in which case you know which eigenvalue has multiplicity 2.

Mark44 said:
You can use generalized eigenvectors to put the matrix into Jordan canonical form in this case.

Gaussian97 said:
But just to clarify, there's no need to access the answer sheet.
That's of course assuming the person who wrote the problem didn't make a mistake. It's a reasonable assumption to start with, but if you were to find each eigenvalue produced only one eigenvector, then @Mark44's note can save you from beating your head against the wall trying to figure out how diagonalize an undiagonalizable matrix.

1. What is the purpose of diagonalizing a matrix given the eigenvalues?

Diagonalizing a matrix given the eigenvalues allows us to simplify and understand the behavior of the matrix. It also allows us to perform calculations and transformations more easily.

2. What are the steps involved in diagonalizing a matrix given the eigenvalues?

The steps involve finding the eigenvectors corresponding to each eigenvalue, constructing a matrix with the eigenvectors as columns, and then finding the inverse of this matrix. The diagonalized matrix is then formed by multiplying the original matrix with the inverse of the eigenvector matrix.

3. Can all matrices be diagonalized given their eigenvalues?

No, not all matrices can be diagonalized. A matrix can only be diagonalized if it has n linearly independent eigenvectors, where n is the dimension of the matrix.

4. How does diagonalizing a matrix affect its eigenvalues?

Diagonalizing a matrix does not change its eigenvalues. The eigenvalues of the diagonalized matrix will be the same as the original matrix.

5. What are the applications of diagonalizing a matrix given the eigenvalues?

Diagonalization has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to solve systems of differential equations, find the stability of a system, and simplify calculations in linear algebra.