Can a planet have multiple large moons?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a planet having multiple moons with significant mass and the conditions for such a scenario to occur. It is suggested that if the moons orbit outside the Roche limit and maintain a stable orbital resonance, it is possible to have visually large moons. However, it is unlikely for such a system to form naturally through accretion, as it may result in rings and small moons instead.
Sherwood Botsford
I thought that I'd posted this here, but perhaps not. I've had it on the OtherWorlds and the Physics stackexchange with no results.

I grew up with countless alien planet covers depicting 2-3 moons all considerably larger (telephoto lens...) than Luna's appearance from earth.

Luna from Earth subtends about 1/2 degree. If it were half the distance it would be 1 degree, and we'd have some ferocious tides. (Tidal forces go up as 1/r3, right, so 1 degree luna = 8 times present tides.)

Could Earth have two moons that subtend more than a degree?

Thoughts: visual size goes up as R2 while mass goes up as R3 So a smaller moon orbiting closer results in less orbiting mass.

But with tides as 1/r3 it appears that tides are proportional to the visual angular diameter of the moon. Yes?

Now the other way to make bigger moons would be make them out of pumice. Styrofoam moons. Or really big balloons...

Anyway, I played with a orbital simulator and spent a rainy afternoon trying to find an orbital solution that had two moons, one with 1/80 the mass of the primary, one with 1/320 the mass of the primary, but at half the distance. Usually the little guy gets ejected within a dozen orbits.

What are the conditions for a planet to have multiple moons of significant mass?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I would say, as a first approximation and without having done the calculations myself, that if the moons orbit outside the Roche limit and maintain a stable orbital resonance then you may be able to construct a system with visually big moons. However, I guess that the chance of such a system forming by natural accretion would be (very) low as the system would be more likely to end up with rings and small shepherd moons.

1. Can a planet have more than one large moon?

Yes, a planet can have multiple large moons. In fact, some planets in our solar system, such as Jupiter and Saturn, have dozens of moons.

2. How many large moons can a planet have?

There is no limit to the number of large moons a planet can have. The number depends on various factors, such as the size and mass of the planet, as well as its distance from the sun. Some gas giants have dozens of large moons, while smaller planets may only have one or two.

3. Can multiple large moons exist in stable orbits around a planet?

Yes, multiple large moons can exist in stable orbits around a planet. The stability of these orbits depends on the gravitational interactions between the moons and the planet, as well as the moons' own gravitational pull.

4. What is the advantage of a planet having multiple large moons?

Having multiple large moons allows for a more diverse and dynamic planetary system. These moons can have different compositions and surface features, providing a wide range of scientific research opportunities. They can also affect the planet's tides and potentially provide habitats for extraterrestrial life.

5. Are there any known planets with multiple large moons?

Yes, there are several known planets in our solar system with multiple large moons. For example, Jupiter has 79 known moons, four of which are considered large. Saturn has 82 known moons, with six large moons. Uranus and Neptune also have multiple large moons. Outside of our solar system, scientists have also discovered exoplanets with multiple large moons.