Can a Quark Tunnel Out of a Proton?

• B
  • Thread starter Tumorsito
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quark
In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of tunnelling effect occurring within an atom and whether it could also occur to a quark inside a proton. It was mentioned that quarks cannot be isolated and can only exist in combinations with other quarks. The original poster mentioned seeing this concept in a YouTube video and found some websites discussing it, but could not find a proper reference. The conversation was then closed due to lack of a proper reference and the level was changed from "A" to "B" by the moderator.
Tumorsito
Hi everyone,
As far as I know tunelling effect can occur within an atom, a proton can "evade" de nuclei. Can this happen also to a quark inside a proton? Will this quark be alone/will the proton have just 2 quarks? I suppose since you don't had any energy to the system the quark wouldn't create a pair to be stable, and the same thing applies to the stability of the proton. Thanks everyone for your time!

Physics news on Phys.org
Tumorsito said:
As far as I know tunelling effect can occur within an atom, a proton can "evade" de nuclei.

Where are you getting this from? Please give a specific reference.

Tumorsito said:
Can this happen also to a quark inside a proton?

Quarks cannot be isolated; they can only exist in combinations of multiple quarks that have no net color charge.

PeterDonis said:
Where are you getting this from? Please give a specific reference
Well, I remember seeing it on a yt video, I also found now some websites referring to this but I couldn't find a proper reference to this, so I'm assuming it may be a huge simplification?

Tumorsito said:
I remember seeing it on a yt video, I also found now some websites referring to this but I couldn't find a proper reference to this, so I'm assuming it may be a huge simplification?

I don't even know what it's supposed to be a huge simplification of. "Proton can evade nuclei" means nothing to me. I was hoping for a reference to some specific experiment.

Tumorsito said:
I remember seeing it on a yt video, I also found now some websites referring to this but I couldn't find a proper reference to this

For future reference, this is not a suitable starting point for an "A" level thread. "A" level means a graduate level familiarity with the subject matter; you won't get that from yt videos or random websites.

Since no proper reference is available, this thread is closed.

Moderator's note: Thread level changed to "B" for posterity.

Likes berkeman

What is the tunneling effect on a quark?

The tunneling effect on a quark is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where a particle, such as a quark, can pass through a potential barrier even though it does not have enough energy to overcome the barrier. This is possible due to the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics.

How does the tunneling effect occur in quarks?

The tunneling effect in quarks occurs when the wave function of the quark extends beyond the potential barrier. This allows for a small probability that the quark will pass through the barrier and appear on the other side, despite not having enough energy to do so classically.

What is the significance of the tunneling effect on quarks?

The tunneling effect on quarks is significant because it allows for particles to exist in regions that would be classically forbidden. This has implications for the behavior of matter at the subatomic level and is essential for understanding the behavior of particles in quantum mechanics.

Can the tunneling effect on quarks be observed?

The tunneling effect on quarks cannot be directly observed since it occurs at the subatomic level. However, its effects can be observed through experiments and measurements, such as in the decay of radioactive particles.

How does the tunneling effect on quarks relate to the uncertainty principle?

The tunneling effect on quarks is related to the uncertainty principle in that it demonstrates the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics. The uncertainty principle states that we cannot know both the position and momentum of a particle simultaneously, and the tunneling effect is a manifestation of this principle.