Can a reaction be neither exo- nor endothermic?

In summary: So I'm not sure how to answer that question.To my knowledge, there is no such thing as a negative absolute temperature. So I'm not sure how to answer that question.In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of ∆rH and ∆rS for a reaction involving the formation of complex organic molecules. The value of ∆rH is found to be 43.7kJ/mol and the temperature for which the reaction is neither endo- nor exothermic is calculated. The conversation also touches on the calculation of entropy, with a question about the value of entropy at negative temperatures, which is not possible as there is no such thing as negative absolute temperature.
kingkong23

Homework Statement

Organic life is based on complex organic molecules formed from smaller ones during a long evolution. Using data in Appendix 2, investigate one such reaction:
2 C2H6 (g) → C4H10 (g) + H2 (g)

(a) Calculate ∆rH and ∆rS for such a reaction under standard conditions (Po = 1 bar, To = 298 K).
Is there a temperature, TH, for which the reaction is neither endo- nor exothermic – calculate it?
- I did this already - The ∆rH = 43.7kJ/mol which is needed to answer the next question

b) Is there a temperature, TH, for which the reaction is neither endo- nor exothermic – calculate it?

CPm(C2H6) = 52.5 J/(mol K)

CPm(C4H10) = 97.5 J/(mol K)

Smo(C4H10) = 310.2 J/(mol K)

∆fHmo(C4H10) = -125.7 kJ/mol

Homework Equations

Δr H (T2) = Δr H (T1) + ΔCp (T2-T1)

The Attempt at a Solution

upload_2016-10-19_14-22-53.png

Did I do it right? is it possible?

Physics news on Phys.org
You've used "H" for "hot," for "hydrogen," for "enthalpy," ... ?

Your algebra for the heat capacity term doesn't seem correct, and you omitted the effect of the heat capacity of hydrogen.

But - in general - the answer to the main question is "yes".

Bystander said:
You've used "H" for "hot," for "hydrogen," for "enthalpy," ... ?

enthalpy

Chestermiller said:
Your algebra for the heat capacity term doesn't seem correct, and you omitted the effect of the heat capacity of hydrogen.
oh yeah, I totally missed that.

upload_2016-10-19_16-38-2.png

does this number seem reasonable ?

kingkong23 said:
oh yeah, I totally missed that.

View attachment 107717
does this number seem reasonable ?
upload_2016-10-19_16-41-44.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-10-19_16-41-4.png
    upload_2016-10-19_16-41-4.png
    32.9 KB · Views: 480
I think so. So, for this reaction, there apparently isn't a cross-over.

Chestermiller said:
I think so. So, for this reaction, there apparently isn't a cross-over.
in a follow up question I was asked "obtain the reaction entropy, ∆rS, for such a temperature" (which I calculated to be -1725.15k)

So I tried using this:
Δr S0 Tf= Δr S0 Ti + Δr CP ln(Tf / Ti)

but I can't do ln for a negative number so is my temperature calculation wrong?

kingkong23 said:
in a follow up question I was asked "obtain the reaction entropy, ∆rS, for such a temperature" (which I calculated to be -1725.15k)

So I tried using this:
Δr S0 Tf= Δr S0 Ti + Δr CP ln(Tf / Ti)

but I can't do ln for a negative number so is my temperature calculation wrong?
As best I can tell, you didn't make a mistake.

Chestermiller said:
As best I can tell, you didn't make a mistake.
okay, thanks for replying again. Just one more thing, at negative temperature is the entropy 0?

Because I can't do ln for a negative number.

I used this equation : Δr S Tf= Δr S Ti + Δr CP ln(Tf / Ti)

kingkong23 said:
okay, thanks for replying again. Just one more thing, at negative temperature is the entropy 0?

Because I can't do ln for a negative number.

I used this equation : Δr S Tf= Δr S Ti + Δr CP ln(Tf / Ti)
To my knowledge, there is no such thing as a negative absolute temperature.

What is an exothermic reaction?

An exothermic reaction is a chemical reaction that releases energy in the form of heat. This means that the products of the reaction have less energy than the reactants, and the excess energy is released into the surroundings.

What is an endothermic reaction?

An endothermic reaction is a chemical reaction that requires energy in the form of heat to proceed. This means that the products of the reaction have more energy than the reactants, and the necessary energy is absorbed from the surroundings.

Can a reaction be both exothermic and endothermic?

No, a reaction cannot be both exothermic and endothermic at the same time. This is because the terms exothermic and endothermic refer to opposite directions of energy flow in a reaction. A reaction can only either release or absorb energy.

Can a reaction be neither exothermic nor endothermic?

Yes, there are some chemical reactions that do not involve a significant change in energy and therefore cannot be classified as either exothermic or endothermic. These reactions are called isothermic reactions.

What factors determine whether a reaction is exothermic or endothermic?

The energy change in a reaction is determined by the difference in energy between the reactants and products. If the products have lower energy than the reactants, the reaction will be exothermic. If the products have higher energy than the reactants, the reaction will be endothermic.