Reaction Rate and Activation Energy

In summary, Methanol can be produced by reacting carbon monoxide and hydrogen gas. The rate of disappearance of hydrogen gas is related to the rate of appearance of methanol by a ratio of 2:1. For the first order isomerization of cyclopropane to propene, the rate constant at 435 Celsius with an activation energy of 264 kJ/mol is 0.00026 1/sec. To find the temperature at which the rate constant is 0.00447 1/sec, the equation ln(k1/k2) = (Ea/R) x ((1/T2) - (1/T1)) is used. The correct answer is 90.7 K.
Soaring Crane
1) Methanol can be produced by the following reaction:
CO (g) + 2H2 (g) --> CH30H (g)

How is the rate of disappearance of hydrogen gas related to the rate of appearance of methanol?
-delta

/delta t = ?

a. + delta

/delta t
b. + 1delta[CH3OH]/2delta t
c. + 2 delta [CH3OH]/delta t
d. none of the above

Is it d because the rates are supposed to be determined experimentally?

2) The first order isomerization of cyclopropane -> propene has a rate constant of 0.00026 1/sec at 435 Celsius with an activation energy of 264 kJ/mol. What is the temperature at which the rate constant is 0.00447 1/sec? Calculate your answer in kelvins.

k2 = 0.00447 1/s
k1 = 0.00026 1/s
T1 = 435 C = 708.15 K
E_a = 264 kJ/mol = 2640 J/mol

ln (k2/k1) = (-E_a/R)*[(1-T2) - (1/T1)]?

1/T2 = [-ln (k2/k1)/(-E_a/R)] + (1/T1)
1/T2 = -ln(0.00447/.00026)/[-2640 J/mol/(8.314)] + (1/708.15 K)
=0.0096133567 + (1/708.15 K) = 0.011025

1/0.011025 = 90.69 K = 90.7 K?

Is the correct final answer and method?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
number 1:
no, it has to do with the mole ratios.

number 2:
the equation should be:
[tex] ln(\frac{K_1}{K_2}) = \frac {E_a}{R} (\frac{1}{T_2}- \frac{1}{T_1}) [/tex]

Last edited:
1. So the rates are determined stoichiometrically? (I thought this was wrong.) The answer then would be b.??

2. ln (k2/k1) = (-E_a/R)*[(1-T2) - (1/T1)] I got this equation in my text. Why is the ratio of k's switched? (The - on the E_a/R will cancel out in solving for T2.)

Thanks.

Last edited:
1. no, hydrogen gas disappears at twice the rate

2. I'm sorry, I didn't notice the negative sign that you put in front of [itex] E_a [/itex]

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that

[tex] - \frac{d[H_2]}{2dt}= \frac{d[CH3OH]}{dt} [/tex]

opposite signs just in case the latex isn't showing up

1. What is reaction rate?

Reaction rate refers to the speed at which a chemical reaction occurs. It is typically measured as the change in concentration of a reactant or product over a specific period of time.

2. How is reaction rate affected by temperature?

Increasing the temperature generally increases the reaction rate. This is because higher temperatures provide more energy to the reactant molecules, leading to more frequent and energetic collisions, which results in a faster reaction.

3. What is activation energy?

Activation energy is the minimum amount of energy required for a chemical reaction to occur. It is the energy needed to break the bonds in the reactant molecules so that they can rearrange and form new products.

4. How does a catalyst affect reaction rate and activation energy?

A catalyst is a substance that can speed up a chemical reaction without being consumed in the process. It lowers the activation energy needed for the reaction to occur, making it easier for the reactant molecules to reach the transition state and form products. This ultimately increases the reaction rate.

5. Can reaction rate and activation energy be controlled?

Yes, reaction rate and activation energy can be controlled through various factors such as temperature, concentration of reactants, and the presence of a catalyst. By manipulating these factors, it is possible to increase or decrease the reaction rate and alter the activation energy needed for a reaction to occur.