Can a self-taught autodidact become a theoretical physicist?

• Thread starter Robby_rob
  • Start date
Robby_rob
Hi everyone,

I just found Physics Forums and it made my day. I'm a college drop out who just couldn't find anything that inspired me. Later in life, I'm in my early 30's, and I just made the decision to become a self taught (autodidact) physicist. My end goal however is to be a theoretical physicist. Maybe with a little bit of luck I'll become a polymath.

This is a big commitment and the journey won't be easy, but I have a strategy. I learned programming and computer science by reading books, building things, and surrounding myself with PHD's. I'm confident that I can replicate my success by following the same formula. I'v already started by going back to Algebra, the gatekeeper. My plan is to "understand" not just do. Based on my research I'll need to have a strong foundation in Algebra, Trigonometry, and Calculus.

In closing, I'm looking forward to the journey and learning from the Physics Forums community. I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to connect with the members on LinkedIn so that I may follow your works.Rob

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forum, you're at the right place.