Forum Guidelines: Rules and Expectations for Scientific Discussions

physicsgirly
How did you find PF?
Hello! My name is Eleonora but you can call me Leo. I'm a girl. I love mathematics and physics and I aspire to become a theoretical physicist one day (or maybe this will change someday, but for now it's my biggest life goal). I still go to school. I want to self-study physics and find fellow people who love discussing all things science. If you can speak german, talk to me in german, because I live in there and I can speak it fluently. But I don't have a problem communicating in english. I would love to find some new friends and we could support eachother on this long learning path.
Love y'all!

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forum.

Just FYI, we don't do posts on this forum in any language other than English.

Likes physicsgirly
phinds said:
Welcome to the forum.

Just FYI, we don't do posts on this forum in any language other than English.
Got it.

physicsgirly said:
I also have a question: is there a guideline for this forum because I didn't find one yet?
It is not very complicated. The main rules are:
  • if it looks like homework, then we treat it as homework
  • if it is homework, we require some effort from your side because we want to teach, not solve homework problems; and it helps us to figure out where the difficulties are
  • no politics, no religion, no philosophy, no speculations
The speculation part is a bit tricky. We require some effort from our members, e.g. Google or Wikipedia searches for questions about facts. Users sometimes display their own (usually wrong) theory of a certain subject as a statement, which would be speculation and thus not allowed.

"Do black holes rotate?" is allowed, "Black holes do not rotate." is forbidden. However, I think it is more a male thing that they phrase their "questions" as "statements" in expectation of an argument instead of admitting to being clueless.

Likes berkeman

1. What is the purpose of having forum guidelines for scientific discussions?

The purpose of having forum guidelines for scientific discussions is to ensure that discussions are conducted in a respectful and professional manner, and to maintain the integrity and credibility of the scientific information being shared. These guidelines also help to facilitate productive and constructive discussions among scientists and researchers.

2. Are there any specific rules or expectations that I should be aware of before participating in scientific discussions on the forum?

Yes, there are specific rules and expectations that all participants are expected to follow. These include using appropriate language and tone, providing evidence and sources to support claims, and being open to constructive criticism and differing opinions. Please refer to the forum guidelines for a complete list of rules and expectations.

3. Can I share my personal opinions and beliefs in scientific discussions on the forum?

While personal opinions and beliefs are welcome, it is important to remember that scientific discussions should be based on evidence and facts. Therefore, it is important to support your opinions with relevant research and data. Additionally, all discussions should be respectful and avoid personal attacks.

4. What should I do if I encounter a violation of the forum guidelines during a discussion?

If you encounter a violation of the forum guidelines, you can report it to the forum moderators. They will review the situation and take appropriate action, which may include removing the offending post or issuing a warning to the violator. It is important to remember to remain respectful and refrain from engaging in any further violations yourself.

5. Are there any consequences for repeatedly violating the forum guidelines?

Yes, repeated violations of the forum guidelines may result in consequences such as temporary or permanent suspension from the forum. These consequences are in place to ensure that all participants are able to engage in discussions in a safe and respectful environment. It is important to adhere to the guidelines to avoid any consequences.