Can a Simple Electromagnet Lift Tuna Cans?

In summary, the individual is seeking help in building an electromagnet that can pick up 8 ounces from 2-3 inches below it, using limited funds and common household materials. They are looking for a simple and easy-to-build design that does not require advanced knowledge or complex calculations. They have been advised to search for instructions online, but have been reminded that the purpose of this forum is to promote learning rather than just getting a solution.
sushiman1841
I need to build an electromagnet that is able to pick up 8 ounces from 2-3 inches below it. the tuna cans are magnetic and are full of tuna. I have limited funds but have a lot of wire and stuff at home. the electromagnet will be powered at approx. 7.4 volts. i would like the electromagnet to be easily buildable and not require complex calculations and advanced knowledge. please help..

Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried a google search for "How to build an electromagnet"? I'm betting there are plenty of sites out there than can show you step by step.

sushiman1841,

Welcome to PF!

This sounds like a science competition for school, so it is probably more appropriate in the homework section.

Furthermore, stating:

i would like the electromagnet to be easily buildable and not require complex calculations and advanced knowledge.

is not likely to get you much "scientific" help. I mean no disrespect, but the purpose of this forum, as I understand it, is to promote knowledge. Having other people solve your challenges without imparting knowledge to you is not in your own best interest.

When you decide to make an effort to "learn", I can promise that people here will help you, but if you just want people here to solve a problem for you so that you can get a prize, it is not likely you will get much help.

I wish you the very best,

Fish

Related to Can a Simple Electromagnet Lift Tuna Cans?

1. How does an electromagnet work?

An electromagnet works by using electricity to create a magnetic field. When an electric current flows through a wire, it creates a magnetic field around the wire. By coiling the wire and passing a current through it, the magnetic field becomes stronger.

2. What materials are needed to build an electromagnet?

To build an electromagnet, you will need a power source, such as a battery or power supply, a conducting wire, and a ferromagnetic material, such as iron, that can be magnetized.

3. How can I increase the strength of an electromagnet?

The strength of an electromagnet can be increased by increasing the number of coils in the wire, increasing the current flowing through the wire, and using a ferromagnetic material with a high magnetic permeability, such as iron or steel.

4. Can I control the strength of an electromagnet?

Yes, the strength of an electromagnet can be controlled by adjusting the amount of current flowing through the wire. By increasing or decreasing the current, you can make the electromagnet stronger or weaker.

5. What are some practical applications of electromagnets?

Electromagnets have a variety of practical applications, including use in motors, generators, speakers, MRI machines, and particle accelerators. They are also used in everyday objects such as doorbells, refrigerators, and speakers.