Where could one buy an electromagnet for lifting 200kg

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for an electromagnet that can lift over 200kg. The speaker shares their experience with a 9 volt battery-powered electromagnet used for science demos and asks for recommendations on where to purchase a similar one. They also mention their preference for a non-permanent magnet and ask for suggestions on where to find one. The conversation ends with a recommendation to check Amazon and McMaster-Carr for different options.
ScurvySam234234
Years ago my father had an electromagnet he used for children's science demos. It was powered by a little 9 volt battery. He would attach a rope to the magnet and another to a steel plate. He would then have the kids try to pull the magnet apart via tug-of-war. He also brought out his magnet at a dinner party with adults once; even with 5 grown men pulling each side, the magnet could not be separated from the plate.

Although its for a different purpose, I am looking for electromagnet which can lift in excess of 200kg (441 lbs) or so. However, almost all of the magnets I can find are permanent magnets; for instance, one can easily find strong neodymium magnets for sale. However, I do not want a permanent magnet. I suppose is okay if the electromagnet is a permanent one, as long as its fairly weak when unpowered, but I don't want a strong permanent magnet.

Any ideas where I could buy such a thing?

Engineering news on Phys.org
ScurvySam234234 said:
Years ago my father had an electromagnet he used for children's science demos. It was powered by a little 9 volt battery. He would attach a rope to the magnet and another to a steel plate. He would then have the kids try to pull the magnet apart via tug-of-war. He also brought out his magnet at a dinner party with adults once; even with 5 grown men pulling each side, the magnet could not be separated from the plate.

Although its for a different purpose, I am looking for electromagnet which can lift in excess of 200kg (441 lbs) or so. However, almost all of the magnets I can find are permanent magnets; for instance, one can easily find strong neodymium magnets for sale. However, I do not want a permanent magnet. I suppose is okay if the electromagnet is a permanent one, as long as its fairly weak when unpowered, but I don't want a strong permanent magnet.

Any ideas where I could buy such a thing?
Welcome to the PF.

What size electromagnets did you find in your searching so far? And detachable permanent magnets (with internal mechanisms to facilitate the detachment) do exist...

http://3.imimg.com/data3/LY/GM/MY-10596874/permanent-magnetic-lifter.jpg
permanent-magnetic-lifter.jpg

Attachments

• permanent-magnetic-lifter.jpg
    permanent-magnetic-lifter.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 581
Likes Nik_2213
ScurvySam234234 said:
However, almost all of the magnets I can find are permanent magnets; for instance, one can easily find strong neodymium magnets for sale.
Did you type "electromagnet" into Amazon's search feature? I see several that meet your description, mostly related to door locks.

Likes berkeman
McMaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com) is one of the best sources for all sorts of neat things if you live in the US. They have two pages of electromagnets, the strongest of which will lift 5,000 lbs.

Likes russ_watters and berkeman

1. How much weight can an electromagnet lift?

An electromagnet's lifting capacity depends on its strength, which is determined by the number of windings in its coil and the amount of current passing through it. For a 200kg weight, you would need an electromagnet with a lifting capacity of at least 200kg.

2. Where can I purchase an electromagnet for lifting 200kg?

Electromagnets can be purchased from a variety of sources, including online retailers, hardware stores, and industrial supply companies. It is important to research and compare prices and specifications to find the best option for your needs.

3. How do I know if an electromagnet is suitable for lifting 200kg?

The strength of an electromagnet is measured by its lifting capacity, which is typically listed in kilograms. Make sure to check the specifications of the electromagnet to ensure it can lift at least 200kg before making a purchase.

4. Can I make my own electromagnet for lifting 200kg?

It is possible to make your own electromagnet, but it would require a significant amount of technical knowledge and specialized materials. It is generally recommended to purchase a pre-made electromagnet for lifting such a heavy weight.

5. Are there any safety considerations when using an electromagnet to lift 200kg?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to keep in mind when using an electromagnet for lifting. Make sure to follow all instructions and warnings provided by the manufacturer. It is also important to properly secure the object being lifted and inspect the electromagnet regularly for any signs of damage or wear.