Can a Single Force Maintain Equilibrium?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether a body can be in equilibrium if only one force acts on it. "failexam" believes it cannot, unless the force is non-zero. The possibility of a twist or unclear wording in the question is also considered, with the conclusion that the body cannot be in equilibrium in this scenario.
spaghetti3451
Can a body be in equilibrium if only one force acts on it? I think it can't, if the force is non-zero. Thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
failexam said:
Can a body be in equilibrium if only one force acts on it?
What do you think?

Doc Al said:
failexam said:
Can a body be in equilibrium if only one force acts on it?

What do you think?

The following is what "failexam" thought:

failexam said:
I think it can't, if the force is non-zero.

failexam said:
I think it can't, if the force is non-zero.
Makes sense to me.

Well, I think the body can't be in equilibrium. That's the obvious answer. But I'm wondering if this might be a trick question. So ...

I see. Not a trick question, then!

Perhaps there is a twist to this question.

Can a body be said to have only one force acting one it?

Considering that any force can be resolved into component forces.

So perhaps we could talk about one net force or a non zero resultant or that there is a (single) resultant.

You have entitled this thread 'conditions for equilibrium' , so presumably that is what you are reading.

So perhaps the text is a bit slack and should read something like the conditions for a body to be in force equilibrium is that the resultant of any applied forces is zero or that the components are separately zero.
Moment equilibrium is something else again that should be considered.

I think the question is clear enough. A single non-zero force acts on a body. (Sure, you can break that force into components, but so what?) Can the body be in equilibrium? No.

Related to Can a Single Force Maintain Equilibrium?

What is meant by "Condition for equilibrium"?

The condition for equilibrium refers to the state in which an object is at rest or moving at a constant velocity, with no net force acting upon it.

What are the three conditions for equilibrium?

The three conditions for equilibrium are: 1) The net force acting on the object must be zero, 2) The net torque acting on the object must be zero, and 3) The object must be at rest or moving at a constant velocity.

How is the condition for equilibrium used in physics?

The condition for equilibrium is used to determine the forces acting on an object in order to keep it at rest or in constant motion. It is also used to analyze and predict the behavior of objects in static and dynamic situations.

What is the difference between static and dynamic equilibrium?

Static equilibrium refers to the state in which an object is at rest, while dynamic equilibrium refers to the state in which an object is moving at a constant velocity. In both cases, the net force and net torque acting on the object are zero.

Can an object be in equilibrium if it is accelerating?

No, an object cannot be in equilibrium if it is accelerating. In order for an object to be in equilibrium, it must be at rest or moving at a constant velocity, which means there is no acceleration.