Can a single star with 6 to 8 solar masses end up as a supernova 1a?

In summary, there are two possible scenarios for a SN1A: the singly degenerate (SD) scenario where a white dwarf accretes matter from a normal star until it explodes, and the doubly degenerate (DD) scenario where two white dwarfs merge and explode. There is evidence for both scenarios and it is not clear which is more common. However, there is also the possibility of a carbon detonation supernova, where a single star with 6 to 8 solar masses can explode without leaving behind a remnant. This idea was presented by John Gribbin in his books, but it is not a widely known concept due to its classification based on spectral lines.
Fede
TL;DR Summary
Can a single star with 6 to 8 solar masses end up as a supernova 1 (having a remnant mass slightly above the Chandrasekhar limit) and being completely disrupted?
Can a single star with 6 to 8 solar masses end up as a supernova 1 (having a remnant mass slightly above the Chandrasekhar limit) and being completely disrupted?

This idea is presented by John Gribbin in his books “Stardust” and “The Universe”, but I can’t find any other reference or source describing this case..

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
As far as I know, the origin of SNe Ia are in binary systems (so, bad news for a single star) of a white dwarf (which have masses smaller than 2 solar masses, so more bad news) and another star, and the WD is accreting matter from the other until it becomes a supernova. So in a first look, I would say that it is not possible, maybe someone who knows more can tell you further things.

There are two possible secenarios that give rise to SN1A. The first is what @Gaussian97 described, a WD accreting matter from a normal (i.e. non-degenerate) star until it exceeds the Chandrasekhar limit and explodes. This is called the "Singly Degenerate" (SD) scenario. The second is two WD stars which orbit each other and spiral in due to gravitational wave emission until they collide and merge, leading to a singel WD above the Chandrasekhar limit, which explodes. This is called the "Doubly Degenerate" (DD) scenario. There is some evidence for both, and it is not clear whether all SN1A are SD, all SN1A are DD, or SN1A are a mixture of both. As far as I know, there is no proposed scenario in which a single star gives rise to a SN1A.

Fede said:

This idea is presented by John Gribbin in his books “Stardust” and “The Universe”, but I can’t find any other reference or source describing this case..
Yes, it's called a "carbon detonation supernova" and depending on how much helium burning adds to the core during shell burning, it's thought that the carbon core remains supported by degeneracy pressure until reaching that critical amount of mass where the pressure can no longer support it and, exactly like an accreting white dwarf, an explosion occurs leaving no remnant behind. The cores of stars of greater mass begin to burn carbon non-degenerately and so evolve beyond this stage, ending their lives as type II supernovae. The reason you haven't heard of them is that the two types were classified based on the spectra they leave behind. Type I have no hydrogen lines, while carbon detonation supernovae still have a hydrogen envelope as they're also the result of core-collapse.

1. How does a star with 6 to 8 solar masses end up as a supernova 1a?

A star with 6 to 8 solar masses will end up as a supernova 1a when it runs out of nuclear fuel and can no longer sustain its core. This causes the core to collapse and triggers a runaway fusion reaction, resulting in a massive explosion.

2. What is the difference between a supernova 1a and other types of supernovae?

A supernova 1a is caused by the explosion of a white dwarf star, while other types of supernovae are caused by the collapse of massive stars. Supernova 1a explosions are also much more consistent in their brightness, making them useful for measuring distances in astronomy.

3. Can a single star with 6 to 8 solar masses skip the supernova stage and become a black hole?

No, a star with 6 to 8 solar masses does not have enough mass to become a black hole. It will either end up as a supernova 1a or a neutron star.

4. What are the potential consequences of a supernova 1a explosion?

A supernova 1a explosion releases an enormous amount of energy and can have significant effects on its surrounding environment. This includes the production of heavy elements, shockwaves that can trigger the formation of new stars, and the potential to disrupt nearby planetary systems.

5. How common are supernova 1a events in the universe?

Supernova 1a events are relatively rare compared to other types of supernovae. They occur roughly once every 100 years in a typical galaxy, but can be more frequent in regions with a higher concentration of stars.