Can a spinning dielectric sphere induce a magnetic field?

In summary, according to the professor, the induced magnetic field will not be strong enough to produce a current.
Nikitin

Homework Statement

http://web.phys.ntnu.no/~ingves/Teaching/TFY4240/Exam/Exam_tfy4240_Dec_2013.pdf
http://web.phys.ntnu.no/~ingves/Teaching/TFY4240/Exam/Solution_tfy4240_Dec_2013.pdf

problem 2g

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi, this is taken from problem 2g in the problem set above.

Assume you have an electric field ##\vec{E}##, and in there you have a polarized dielectric sphere. Then the sphere will have a polarization density that varies continuously in the direction of ##\vec{E}##.

Now, if you start spinning this sphere about the direction of ##\vec{E}##, will a magnetic field be induced? I.e. will the spinning surface charges induced on the sphere constitute a current that will by maxwell's laws produce a magnetic field?

It's kinda logical it should since you have moving charges, but according to my professor it won't. Reason being since the polarized surface charge distribution exhibits axial symmetry around ##\vec{E}##, apparently. But what does that have to do with anything? You still have moving charges!

Maybe he means that since these are POLARIZED charges, the netto charge is approximately zero everywhere and so the "currents" kill each other?

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with you. The sphere will have different charges on the two hemispheres, so you have a current there. It won't lead to a magnetic field everywhere, but at some (most) places you get a magnetic field in the same way a spinning charged ring gives a magnetic field.

Hmm I've been thinking. While you do have a surface charge density, its from polarization charge and not free charge. Then wouldn't it be like moving lots of ideal dipoles around? Those dipoles provide no net current i think.

It is polarization charge, but it appears like a net charge distribution as the polarization is not uniform (trivial, it is limited to the sphere).
You can take the limit of a "perfect" dielectric material, then you get an actual charge.

mfb said:
It is polarization charge, but it appears like a net charge distribution as the polarization is not uniform (trivial, it is limited to the sphere).
You can take the limit of a "perfect" dielectric material, then you get an actual charge.
What do you mean "it appears like a net charge distribution"?

I disagree with you:

In the limit the polarization at the surface being made up of ideal dipoles, then each movement of each dipole charge will be accompanied by its dipole partner. Now, since these two partners are of opposite but equal charge, then it must follow that the net current is zero everywhere.

Nikitin said:
What do you mean "it appears like a net charge distribution"?
Exactly that. If you replace it with a conductor, you even get a "real" charge distribution.
Nikitin said:
then each movement of each dipole charge will be accompanied by its dipole partner
The dipole partner is at a different position, that's the point of a dipole.

Hmm? In the limit of an ideal dipole they are in the same point.

If they would be at the same point, they would need "infinite" charges. The product of charge and distance is the same on both cases.
And your dipoles have the size of molecules.

This is an interesting question. For an ideal conducting sphere, would the induced charge on the sphere rotate with the sphere or remain stationary?

mfb said:
If they would be at the same point, they would need "infinite" charges. The product of charge and distance is the same on both cases.
And your dipoles have the size of molecules.
from a macro POV a molecule can be considered a point in space, though. no?

Nikitin said:
from a macro POV a molecule can be considered a point in space, though. no?
You don't have isolated molecules, the whole space is filled with molecules.
Imagine a chain OO OO OO OO where the left side gets some positive charge and the right side gets some negative charge: +- +- +- +- +-. This is equivalent to a macroscopic charge at one end and an opposite charge at the other end.@TSny: It is a relevant question, but I don't see a reason why they should not. Not rotating would give a current in the material, and I think we can exclude that for the (pseudo)static case.

It is a relevant question, but I don't see a reason why they should not. Not rotating would give a current in the material, and I think we can exclude that for the (pseudo)static case.

I actually misread the question. I was picturing the sphere as rotating about an axis perpendicular to the E field and so the induced charge would be sort of like the tidal bulge of the Earth (which, of course, does not rotate with the earth). I agree with your assessment for the actual question. I need to be more careful.:oops:

Related to Can a spinning dielectric sphere induce a magnetic field?

What is a spinning dielectric sphere?

A spinning dielectric sphere is a physical object that is made of a material with the ability to become electrically polarized when placed in an electric field. The sphere is also rotating or spinning, which creates a non-uniform distribution of charge on its surface.

What is the purpose of studying a spinning dielectric sphere?

The study of a spinning dielectric sphere can help scientists understand the behavior of electric fields and how they interact with different materials. This can have practical applications in technology, such as in the design of electronic devices and materials with specific electrical properties.

What factors affect the behavior of a spinning dielectric sphere?

The behavior of a spinning dielectric sphere is affected by several factors, including the material properties of the sphere, the strength and direction of the electric field, and the speed and direction of the sphere's rotation. Other factors such as temperature and humidity can also play a role.

How is the motion of a spinning dielectric sphere described?

The motion of a spinning dielectric sphere can be described using principles of electromagnetism and mechanics. This includes understanding the distribution of charge on the sphere's surface, the forces acting on the sphere, and the resulting motion of the sphere.

What are some potential applications of a spinning dielectric sphere?

Some potential applications of a spinning dielectric sphere include use in electronic devices, such as capacitors and sensors, as well as in materials with specific electrical properties, such as insulators or conductors. The study of spinning dielectric spheres can also have implications in fields such as nanotechnology and biophysics.