Can an egg be balanced on its end?

• Thread starter Sutitan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Egg
In summary, the question at hand is whether it is possible to balance an egg on its end given the conditions of a uniform density and a perfect egg shape, which is assumed to be a Prolate spheroid. According to the laws of physics, it is possible to balance an egg on its end by aligning the center of gravity with the center of mass. However, the stability of this equilibrium depends on the angle theta, and a perfect egg shape is considered to be unstable due to the potential for a small disturbance to lower the center of gravity. Proving this mathematically would require an exact definition of a perfect egg shape.
Sutitan
Before I ask my question, I understand its possible to balance an egg. I just went out to buy some eggs and did it. I seem to have a magic egg that literally takes me about 3 seconds to balance. (I did cheat a bit. I shook it up pretty nice to break the chalaza to lower the center of gravity.)

The question my physics teacher asked me is "Why can't an egg be stood on its end? (assuming uniform density and a ellipsoid shape)" By ellipsoid I am assuming a Prolate spheroid. I am guessing he just wants a perfect "egg shape"

from my understanding, we can. Wouldn't the center of gravity be right down the middle? the location would be the same as the center of mass because of the uniform density. And the center of mass would just be at the center of the ellipsoid. therefore, if you found the exact point of the end of the ellipsoid, you could balance it, since it would line up with the CG.

I don't know what I am missing. I think you should be able to balance an egg on its end (especially given the conditions I was given). I hope I didnt mis-understand him cause of his really heavy accent. If it helps, we are learning about static equilibrium and elasticity.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure the center of gravity can be placed over the center point...or could it? What your teacher is probably getting at is whether a perfect egg shape can be in stable equilibrium when on its point. Can it? If unstable the slightest jarring will knock it over.

You have to look at what happens to the height of the center of gravity when the angle theta is changed. By theta, I mean the angle between a line shooting out of the top of the egg, and the ground. It is 90 degrees when the egg is balancing on end. Anyway, consider a small change in the angle theta (to say, 89 or 91 degrees). If such a disturbance results in the center of gravity being higher above the ground, then the egg is stable. It means that 90 degrees is the angle which minimizes the eggs gravitational potential energy. (at least, its a local minimum) If such a disturbance lowers the eggs CG, then it is unstable, because, due to gravity, it wants to get the CG as low as possible.

If it is unstable, you may get it to balance with a lot of effort, but the tiniest disturbance will cause it to fall.

So a perfect egg shape of uniform density is unstable because a small disturbance lowers it CG compared to where it was before the disturbance. Proving that a small disturbance lowers the CG is a fairly involved problem mathematically, and you would need an exact definition of a perfect egg shape.

Related to Can an egg be balanced on its end?

1. How do you balance an egg on its end?

To balance an egg on its end, you need to find a flat and smooth surface, such as a table or countertop. Gently place the egg on the surface and slowly rotate it until you find the egg's center of gravity. Once you have found the center of gravity, carefully release the egg and it should balance on its end.

2. Why is it possible to balance an egg on its end?

It is possible to balance an egg on its end because of its unique shape and weight distribution. The egg's pointed bottom creates a small surface area, making it easier to find the center of gravity. Additionally, the egg's weight is evenly distributed, allowing it to balance on its end.

3. Can any type of egg be balanced on its end?

Technically, any type of egg can be balanced on its end. However, it may be easier to balance a raw egg compared to a hard-boiled egg, as the yolk and white may shift during the cooking process, affecting the weight distribution and center of gravity.

4. Is balancing an egg on its end a scientific phenomenon?

No, balancing an egg on its end is not a scientific phenomenon. It is simply a fun and interesting trick that can be achieved by finding the egg's center of gravity and balancing it on a flat surface.

5. How long can an egg stay balanced on its end?

The length of time an egg can stay balanced on its end depends on various factors, such as the egg's shape, surface on which it is balanced, and any external forces acting on it. With careful balancing and no external disturbances, an egg can stay balanced for several minutes or even longer.