Can an embedded Google Sheet be made editable in a thread?

• Thread starter Bob Walance
  • Start date
In summary: Insert it as a link with customized text like so: editable google sheet.In summary, the conversation involved a test where permissions were set to view only and a link to a Google Sheet was copied and pasted into a thread. The sheet could be viewed but not edited, and the forum recognizes the URL as a Google Sheet and transforms it to show the media content. The solution suggested was to create a text link to the sheet in addition to the embedded sheet. One way to do this is by creating an OpenOffice Writer document and editing the hyperlink with the desired text. The speaker also mentions learning the Tom Lehrer song 'The Elements' and jokes about it being the reason for not being married.
Bob Walance
Insights Author
Gold Member
I did a test with the permissions set as show below. The link was copied. I then created a thread and pasted the link into it.

I could see the Google Sheet in the thread but could not modify its cell contents.

Is there some trick to making this work?

Here's the Google Sheet:

1658636783798.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Embeds are view only. If you want to allow edit access, provide a text link to the sheet in addition.

Insert it as a link with customized text like so: editable google sheet. Otherwise, the forum recognizes the URL as a google sheet and transforms it to show the media content.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Thanks for the answers. I will learn how to create "a link with customized text".

I learned one way to create a link with customized text:
1- Create an OpenOffice Writer (text) document.
2- Paste-in the link that needs customized text.
3- Right click on the link and 'Edit Hyperlink'
4- The 'Text...' box can be edited with the desired link name.
5- Highlight the whole link (left click and move the mouse to select all the text in the link) and then copy.
6- The link with its new name can now be pasted.

On a side note - at 66 years old I really still do enjoy learning new things.
Not too long ago I memorized the Tom Lehrer song 'The Elements'. I can do it my sleep, and this probably explains why I'm not married:

"There's antimony arsenic aluminum selenium and hydrogen and oxygen and ... and ... Honey, why are you packing your bags?"
:smile:

Bob Walance said:
Thanks for the answers. I will learn how to create "a link with customized text".
[url=http://whatever]Text I want to display[/url]

Likes mfb, Bob Walance and Greg Bernhardt

1. Can an embedded Google Sheet be made editable in a thread?

Yes, it is possible to make an embedded Google Sheet editable in a thread.

2. How can I make an embedded Google Sheet editable in a thread?

To make an embedded Google Sheet editable in a thread, you will need to use the Google Sheets API and embed the sheet using the "publish to web" feature.

3. Is it possible to restrict editing permissions for an embedded Google Sheet in a thread?

Yes, you can restrict editing permissions for an embedded Google Sheet in a thread by setting specific sharing settings for the sheet.

4. Can multiple users edit an embedded Google Sheet in a thread simultaneously?

Yes, multiple users can edit an embedded Google Sheet in a thread simultaneously as long as they have been given editing permissions.

5. Are changes made in an embedded Google Sheet in a thread automatically saved?

Yes, changes made in an embedded Google Sheet in a thread are automatically saved as long as the user has editing permissions and is connected to the internet.