Need your help with a collection of 0 reply threads

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, it looks like we need to reply to some old homework threads in order to make them indexable again and attract more members.
Greg Bernhardt said:
Feel free to report any that you think require deletion, thanks!
I am doing that, with a prefix "[Old MHB threads]" so that the mentors are not confused.

Likes fresh_42 and Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
Feel free to report any that you think require deletion, thanks!
It looks like anything posted under the username Prove It could go. Alternatively, we could just edit the threads to keep the answer, so students could check their answers but still have to work it out themselves.

Likes Wrichik Basu
What happened here? No links.

1662237699449.png

Threads with the title "<x>'s question via email/<something else> about <y>" are all probably by user Prove It, and can be locked. The proofs may be useful to future visitors, but there is nothing to be replied to.

Wrichik Basu said:
Threads with the title "<x>'s question via email/<something else> about <y>" are all probably by user Prove It, and can be locked. The proofs may be useful to future visitors, but there is nothing to be replied to.
They seem to get a lot of views, so we'll keep them for now

Greg Bernhardt said:
They seem to get a lot of views, so we'll keep them for now
Definitely keep them, but you probably can lock them. They don't need a reply. Any visitor can start a new thread and reference to the old thread for any further questions.

Yes, it seems a bit pointless if "correct" is essentially all you can add. This is also sometimes the case in our usual homework threads. In all such cases, I try to add some additional information: wiki pages to read, the theory it belongs to, or some historical remarks. More because I feel stupid just saying "correct" than because of the OP.

Likes dextercioby, strangerep and Wrichik Basu
Greg Bernhardt said:
@Wrichik Basu when reporting, please mark as done, so others don't get the black hole message
I was not marking because the report might get rejected.

Links in row #90 and 86 are same, even though the thread titles are different.

Same issue in rows 83, 87 and 91. Probably the links in rows 83 and 87 are that of 91.

Wrichik Basu said:
Links in row #90 and 86 are same, even though the thread titles are different.

Same issue in rows 83, 87 and 91. Probably the links in rows 83 and 87 are that of 91.
Were those the ones I filled in for you?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Were those the ones I filled in for you?
Yes. You had filled in 83-86 after I reported in post #144 in this thread.

Shot two more down today.

Oops, after midnite, make that yesterday.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Im looking at two biology threads today

• Love
Likes Greg Bernhardt
fresh_42 said:
And we need edit access for the sheet. I couldn't set the checkboxes.
I have been editing the text description field manually and appending “(done)” at the end in my Sheets app on my iPhone after answering a thread, I’m speaking solely to the MHB tab tho. The OP in this thread auto-updates to reflect these (done) edit upon page refresh. So y’all start doing that please? On a few I put instead (done - not by me).

I’ve only replied to Laplace Transform problems so far today.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
benorin said:
So y’all start doing that please?
So, on iPhone, you can't view the checkboxes? Or is the problem because you can't see the checkboxes along with the thread title column without scrolling?

Likes Greg Bernhardt
@benorin I see you have also taken the time to reply to a few threads that were marked as "No reply needed". This column was added today because some threads had only proofs and no replies are actually needed in those threads. I guess you cannot view the checkboxes on iPhone, which is weird.

Likes benorin
What is the diff between the 'Original' tab and the 'MHB' tab?

• Wow
Likes PeroK
DaveC426913 said:
Hm. I added a column for date yesterday, so we could prioritize newer ones over ones as old as 10 years, but today it's gone.

Now I see that there are different views of the doc:

This is from post #1:
gid=0

This is the one I bookmarked yesterday:

gid=967764645

Are we all editing the latest one? Or are previous edits getting clobbered (wiped out) by new edits?

You still see the Protist thread? I couldn't.

pinball1970 said:
You still see the Protist thread? I couldn't.
Just after posting, I realized the doc has two different sheets. ne is 'Original' one is 'MHB'. I don't know what 'MHB' means.

DaveC426913 said:
Just after posting, I realized the doc has two different sheets. ne is 'Original' one is 'MHB'. I don't know what 'MHB' means.
I have obviously not read the whole thread.

I am finding a number of homework threads in the MHB sheet. I am reporting these, as well as shading them with brown. Request everyone to check before replying to such a thread. I will track these and mark them "done" after the report is approved.

Also request the moderators to send me a notification if my report is rejected.

If others are reporting threads, they too can use the brown shading to indicate that.

MHB was threads started by that other website that merged with PF not too long ago. I forget their name. I didn’t see a problem replying to at student’s attempt at a solution with a “Yeah, that’s correct.” From a HW helper so the public knows the work is correct. Edit: even tho I don’t really know the material well, I can still use a table of transforms.

Likes Wrichik Basu
DaveC426913 said:
MHB = math help boards

• Informative
Likes pinball1970 and DaveC426913