Need your help with a collection of 0 reply threads

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, it looks like we need to reply to some old homework threads in order to make them indexable again and attract more members.
Hello team!

I need everyone's help! Yesterday I put into place a rule where if a thread didn't have a reply, it wouldn't be indexed by Google. This is an effort to reduce the cruft we're showing to Google as 0 reply threads are rarely good material for their search. Now, there are a number of 0 reply threads that do receive search traffic (some with tens of thousands of historical views) and we want to maintain and improve them in order to keep those search doors open so new members can find us.

I have a Google Sheet with 500 '0' reply threads that receive search traffic. Many of these are homework help threads. All we need to do is work down this list by giving each thread a great and helpful reply. This will then make the thread indexable again and will satisfy searchers and maybe we'll get some new members.

If we each can do 10-20 over the next few days this list will be toast! I'll open this up to regular members if there is not enough support. Thank you for any help you can offer!

Google sheets link

Last edited:
Likes benorin, Dario56, scottdave and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
Based on a sample of 1, it looks like some of those are insights that hardly require answers.

Likes member 428835
Bandersnatch said:
Based on a sample of 1, it looks like some of those are insights that hardly require answers.
I have a sample bigger than one … 🤔

Orodruin said:
Indeed.

Yeah, I've done a couple that were trivial and just required confirmation that the OP got it right.

@Greg Bernhardt --- a suggestion. Please reduce this list every now and then to only ones that are still zero else we'll all waste time looking at ones that have now been answered.

Likes Greg Bernhardt and Bystander
And we need edit access for the sheet. I couldn't set the checkboxes.

Likes dextercioby, Greg Bernhardt and Bystander
I clicked on one = it was homework from 2009. I suggest that you delete any homework threads more than a year old without answers, and we can concentrate on what's left.

Likes symbolipoint, shivajikobardan, member 428835 and 6 others
Ah. I didn't see the check-boxes, and yeah, we can't actually USE them ...

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Vanadium 50 said:
I clicked on one = it was homework from 2009. I suggest that you delete any homework threads more than a year old without answers, and we can concentrate on what's left.
Seems like Greg's goal here is not so much providing info to the world as providing PF with more traffic.
This will then make the thread indexable again and will satisfy searchers and maybe we'll get some new members.

• Haha
Likes Tom.G
Vanadium 50 said:
I had a homework from 2012. I simply solved it so that we have an exemplary solution.

Likes dextercioby and Greg Bernhardt
phinds said:
Seems like Greg's goal here is not so much providing info to the world as providing PF with more traffic.
They are one in the same. Edit access granted, thanks!

Orodruin said:
If you've read more than one thread, sure. ;)

Greg Bernhardt said:
They are one in the same. Edit access granted, thanks!
Edit access to WHAT? The check boxes are still not available. Also, they require a side-to-side scroll which I hate, SO ... I've given up on the check boxes Greg, and I suggest again that you pare down the list every now and then to only those posts that still have no responses.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I'll open this up to regular members if there is not enough support.
You might want to just make a general announcement today in the Feedback forum so the regular users know why so many old threads are showing up in the What's New page. You can just say that the Advisors are working on a project to help clean up old threads for now. :smile:

Likes Greg Bernhardt
phinds said:
Edit access to WHAT? The check boxes are still not available. Also, they require a side-to-side scroll which I hate, SO ... I've given up on the check boxes Greg, and I suggest again that you pare down the list every now and then to only those posts that still have no responses.
Sorry the link is above the generated embed

Greg Bernhardt said:
Sorry the link is above the generated embed
Got it. Much more useable.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
"What is work done?" is another one posted by Greg with the only question asked being "who wrote this?" which apparently no one here has answered?there are not a lot of maths ones. I answered the first one about tangent lines to parabolas, and much later found the next one is a problem posed to calculate tangent, normal, binormal, curvature, and torsion in a single specific example, with no work shown. I consider such questions not worth answering. I would delete it.

I also "answered" an apparently nonsensical attempt at a limit calculation which began by setting (2n)^(1/n) = 1+Kn. In this case an answer of form "I don't understand why you began this way" might have been appropriate, but it apparently takes an almost saintly patience to reply to an entire page of nonsense.

In fact I would suggest a more efficient and reasonably fair way to deal with the questions I have seen is to delete them after a certain amount of time with no answers. I.e. there seems to be mostly a good reason these have not been answered.

Apologies for the unsaintly response!

Last edited:
Likes symbolipoint, PeroK, Bystander and 1 other person
I've done 4 or 5 so far and they all were over 10 years old. Now the "what's new" menu is filling up with new answers to old posts. Be sure to check the OP date before you add on to those threads, it's not about the OP anymore.

• Love
Likes phinds, Greg Bernhardt and fresh_42
mathwonk said:
"What is work done?" is another one posted by Greg with the only question asked being "who wrote this?" which apparently no one here has answered?there are not a lot of maths ones. I answered the first one about tangent lines to parabolas, and much later found the next one is a problem posed to calculate tangent, normal, binormal, curvature, and torsion in a single specific example, with no work shown. I consider such questions not worth answering. I would delete it.
You can go to the Google link in post #1 and once you replied in a thread, you can mark the thread in the sheet by checking the box in the 3rd column. I checked two of your posts as I visited them while unchecked.

In case anyone lost the line with the thread, Ctrl+F yields the search box and the red number in
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/derivation-of-torsion-equations.233787/#post-6647881
is the one to find the line with the thread. (The link can be found under "my content".)

Just a remark: It actually does look a bit eerie if posts are answered 10 years later. I hope people won't find them if they ask again about response times on PF. :cool:

• Haha
Likes Greg Bernhardt
@Greg Bernhardt You said 1,000 posts but the count is 500. Did I accidentally delete a few hundred while trying (in vain) to get the boxes underlined so that the checkboxes are easier to find? I hope you have a copy.

Ah mistype, I had 1000 originally, there are in fact about 25k threads, but only the top 500 or so is reasonable to ask assistance on :smile:

Greg Bernhardt said:
there are in fact about 25k threads
AAACCCKKKKK ! thanks for "only" giving us 500 :smile:

• Haha
Likes fresh_42 and Greg Bernhardt
Are you going to delete the others?

Likes Bystander
phinds said:
Are you going to delete the others?
No I just will leave them as "noindex".

• Informative
Likes phinds
Wouldn't it make more sense if we could use tags? How often do we look up internet pages to answer something: definitions on Wikipedia, lecture notes on Google, or similar things. We could copy every search key to? Yeah, how could we create Google tags without writing complicated sentences to display them?

fresh_42 said:
Wouldn't it make more sense if we could use tags? How often do we look up internet pages to answer something: definitions on Wikipedia, lecture notes on Google, or similar things. We could copy every search key to? Yeah, how could we create Google tags without writing complicated sentences to display them?
What is a Google tag?

Greg Bernhardt said:
I have a Google Sheet with 1000 0 reply threads that receive search traffic. Many of these are homework help threads. All we need to do is work down this list by giving each thread a great and helpful reply. This will then make the thread indexable again and will satisfy searchers and maybe we'll get some new members.
The first one I see on the list is
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/.610398
Methods used to measure the density of solid materials and liquids.

The post is from May 31, 2012, and the OP, Aaron9890 was last seen June 22, 2012. Certainly the response rate needs improving. In this case, the HW is 10 years old, so it's been done a long time ago.

It's an interesting subject, and the user demonstrated some effort and showed the work. Pity it didn't receive a timely response.

Greg Bernhardt said:
What is a Google tag?
I don't know, some key that makes Google index it. E.g., we can add tags on WordPress to categorize our articles. Maybe something like that would be possible here.

fresh_42 said:
I don't know, some key that makes Google index it. E.g., we can add tags on WordPress to categorize our articles. Maybe something like that would be possible here.
We do have the ability to add topical tags to threads

Greg Bernhardt said:
We do have the ability to add topical tags to threads
At which level? It looks as if only moderators could do this, and only outside of the thread on the forum list. A bit too complicated and elitist I think. Do such tags regulate anything, or what is the effect? I would have tested it but didn't see how to remove the result again.

fresh_42 said:
At which level? It looks as if only moderators could do this, and only outside of the thread on the forum list. A bit too complicated and elitist I think. Do such tags regulate anything, or what is the effect? I would have tested it but didn't see how to remove the result again.
During the creation of a thread, you have the option of adding a tag. They are just for categorizing.

Astronuc said:
The first one I see on the list is
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/.610398
Methods used to measure the density of solid materials and liquids.
I wrote a short, but very belated response.

Part of the topic is measurement techniques and measurement error/uncertainty. Is there an Insight article on these subjects/topics?

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Greg Bernhardt said:
Many of these are homework help threads.
A few spot checks indicate to me that many of these threads are very old (I have so far found ones from 2004 to 2009). That means that, even if we make a response, the person seeking the homework help is most likely long gone, which defeats the whole purpose of homework help threads. Either we would just have to post the solution, or IMO we should delete the thread rather than try to make it useful for a search engine.

I have also come across at least one thread (the "what is Coulomb gauge" one) that is a comment thread on an Insights article. IMO having those indexed by Google is useful even if there are no (or very few) responses since they link to the Insights articles themselves.

Likes benorin, symbolipoint, scottdave and 2 others