Can an organic ion have a charge of -3?

In summary, the conversation discusses the formation of an organic ion with a charge of -3 and the compounds that can react with sodium. It is established that an organic ion can have a charge of -2 or -3, as seen in disodium oxalate and trisodium citrate. The compounds that can react with sodium are alcohols and carboxylic acids, and the desired compound should have one acidic proton and three protons that can react with sodium. It is determined that choices B and D are not suitable, leaving choices A and C as potential options. Ultimately, it is concluded that choice C is the correct answer based on the given information.
Janiceleong26

Homework Statement

image.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't seem to see how an organic ion with charge -3 is formed. I thought an organic ion will always have a charge of -1? Like sodium ethoxide CH3CH2CO-Na+ ?
I know that Na can only react with alcohols and carboxylic acids, so B and D are probably out, though B has carboxylic acid grp and D has alcohol grp in it..

Physics news on Phys.org
Janiceleong26 said:
I thought an organic ion will always have a charge of -1?

Why? What is a charge of the anion in disodium oxalate? Trisodium citrate?

Janiceleong26 said:
I know that Na can only react with alcohols and carboxylic acids

You are looking for a compound that has a single proton acidic enough to be neutralized by NaOH, and three protons that can react with Na. You are right about B & D being out.

Likes frozonecom
Borek said:
Why? What is a charge of the anion in disodium oxalate? Trisodium citrate?
You are looking for a compound that has a single proton acidic enough to be neutralized by NaOH, and three protons that can react with Na. You are right about B & D being out.
-2 and -3 :biggrin: sorry I didn't know about this, now that I've know now...we have to find a compound that has three functional groups that can react with Na right? Which is A or C. But since they say J reacts with NaOH (aq) to produce an organic ion with -1 charge, which means there should only be 1 -COOH grp, so ans. is C
Thanks!

1. What is an organic ion with charge -3?

An organic ion with charge -3 is an ion that contains carbon and has a negative charge of 3. It is formed when an organic molecule gains 3 electrons or loses 3 protons.

2. How is an organic ion with charge -3 formed?

An organic ion with charge -3 can be formed through various processes such as chemical reactions, ionization, or redox reactions. It can also be formed by adding or removing electrons or protons from an organic molecule.

3. What are the properties of an organic ion with charge -3?

An organic ion with charge -3 is typically stable and has a high reactivity due to its negative charge. It can also participate in various biochemical processes and reactions in living organisms.

4. What are the common examples of organic ions with charge -3?

Some common examples of organic ions with charge -3 include carboxylate ions, sulfonate ions, and phosphate ions. These ions are often found in organic compounds such as amino acids, fatty acids, and nucleic acids.

5. How does an organic ion with charge -3 contribute to biological processes?

An organic ion with charge -3 plays a crucial role in various biological processes such as metabolism, protein folding, and DNA replication. It also helps in maintaining the pH balance and regulating cell membrane permeability.