Regenerating ion exchange resin

• Thread starter skyshrimp
  • Start date
skyshrimp
Here is video showing how to regenerate and seperate mixed bead resin with hydrochloric acid and sodium hydroxide.

There is a product called Nitra-Zorb which I assume is a anionic ion exchange resin and some kind of zeolite. They advise customers to recharge it with sodium chloride.

Mixed bead ion exchange resins are preloaded with hydroxide and hydronium.

From what I understand from the video, the cationic beads need to be washed with hydrochloric acid. The chloride pulls the metals off and they are replaced with hydronium again.

The anionic beads need to be washed with sodium hydroxide, The sodium pulls the negatively charged molecules off the beads and they are replaced with hydroxide again.

There is a product on the market called Nitra-Zorb which is for aquarium use which removes negatively charged molecules like NO3 and PO4 etc. I think it's a mixture of anionic beads and zeolites. https://www.apifishcare.com/product/nitra-zorb

They state that the product can be recharged with sodium chloride. This is what confuses me as I don't fully understand hydrolysis. If the media is saturated with chloride ions after the soak, how could it be used again in an aquarium? Doesn't chloride have a stronger electronegative charge than NO3?

Would it be best to use sodium hydroxide to recharge it? I'm assuming they can't advise people to handle strong bases so went with table salt, but I don't understand how it can be reused after being saturated with chloride instead of hydroxide.

Last edited:
Likes Charlis Roye
Chemistry news on Phys.org
IIRC, from swapping weary cartridges on our lab's RO pre-conditioners, there's also a rinse phase to flush excess 'regeneration' chemicals...

Likes Charlis Roye
Sorry, I confused electronegative charge with negative charge. NO3 doesn't have an electronegative charge. It just has a negative charge of -1. (stupid meds...)

I've read that people usually use sodium chloride to regenerate mixed bead resin, but that will add sodium choride back to the treated water.

What is ion exchange resin and how does it work?

Ion exchange resin is a polymer that can exchange particular ions within a liquid medium with ions of a similar charge that are attached to the resin. This process is used to soften water, purify chemicals, and separate substances. The resin consists of tiny beads, each acting as an ion exchanger. As water or another solution passes through the resin, undesirable ions are swapped for more desirable ones fixed to the resin, thus purifying or softening the liquid.

What does it mean to regenerate ion exchange resin?

Regenerating ion exchange resin refers to the process of restoring the resin's capacity to exchange ions after it has become saturated with unwanted ions. This is typically done by flushing the resin with a concentrated solution of a regenerant chemical, such as sodium chloride for cation resins or sodium hydroxide for anion resins. This process replaces the accumulated ions with ones that were originally on the resin, allowing it to be reused for further ion exchange processes.

What are the types of regenerants used in ion exchange resin regeneration?

The type of regenerant used depends on the type of ion exchange resin and the specific application. Common regenerants include sodium chloride, which is used to regenerate cation exchange resins by replacing calcium and magnesium ions with sodium ions. Sodium hydroxide is often used to regenerate anion exchange resins by replacing sulfate and nitrate ions with hydroxide ions. Other regenerants can include hydrochloric acid and sulfuric acid, depending on the requirements of the resin and the process.

How often should ion exchange resin be regenerated?

The frequency of regeneration depends on several factors including the type of resin, the concentration of ions in the feed water, flow rate, and the specific application. In water softening applications, for instance, regeneration may be necessary after a few thousand gallons of water have been treated, or when the water hardness increases beyond a certain threshold. In industrial settings, the regeneration schedule can be determined by monitoring the quality of the output or by a predefined schedule based on past usage and performance data.

What are the environmental impacts of regenerating ion exchange resin?

The regeneration of ion exchange resins involves the use of chemicals that can have environmental impacts if not handled and disposed of properly. The spent regenerant, a solution containing the displaced ions, often requires treatment before disposal to avoid polluting waterways. Additionally, the use of strong chemicals like acids and alkalis can pose risks to both the environment and human health. Therefore, it is important to follow proper disposal guidelines and explore environmentally friendly alternatives or recycling options where possible.