Can angular momentum be applied to non circular rotations?

In summary, the concept of angular momentum applies to all motion, not just circular motion. In quantum mechanics, particles do not have defined trajectories, but rather a probability distribution represented by spherical harmonics. In classical physics, angular momentum conservation can be seen as a special case of linear momentum conservation. The use of circular motion in teaching angular momentum is simply for easier visualization and understanding. The presence of multiple force vectors determines the existence of angular momentum, not the path of motion.
Fruit Water
One of the reasons I've been so stumped about learning about angular momentum in QM, is that in my classical physics class we only applied it to circular motions. Hence, while I am aware that angular momentum is connected to spherical harmonics, the orbital shapes (besides s) isn't really circular motion to me. Can someone clarify this for me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Fruit Water said:
One of the reasons I've been so stumped about learning about angular momentum in QM, is that in my classical physics class we only applied it to circular motions. Hence, while I am aware that angular momentum is connected to spherical harmonics, the orbital shapes (besides s) isn't really circular motion to me. Can someone clarify this for me?

In classical physics, angular momentum applies to all motion. A partial moving in a straight line has non-zero angular momentum about any point not on that line.

Conservation of linear momentum can be seen as a special case of conservation of angular momentum.

In QM particles do not have defined trajectories such as a circular orbit. The spherical harmonics represent a probability density distribution, not a trajectory.

They taught you using a circle since it is the easiest to visualize and grasp the concepts. Just like in entry level physics when they have you calculate aspects of a ball rolling down an incline they do not include atmospheric resistance, surface frictions between the two items, or atomic attraction/repulsion characteristics of the materials. What PeroK stated is spot on, however, to reiterate from a different angle (hehe) think of the vectors of force at play when an object is in motion. If only one vector, no angular momentum, if two or more vectors, there is angular momentum. The path (circle or not) is not a determining factor in if there is angular momentum.

1. Can angular momentum be applied to non circular rotations?

Yes, angular momentum can be applied to any type of rotation, not just circular. Angular momentum is a property of an object's motion, and it depends on both the object's mass and its rotational speed.

2. How is angular momentum calculated for non circular rotations?

Angular momentum is calculated by taking the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity. Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion, and angular velocity is the rate at which the object is rotating.

3. Can angular momentum be conserved in non circular rotations?

Yes, angular momentum is a conserved quantity in all types of rotations, including non circular ones. This means that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant, even if the object's shape or speed changes.

4. How does angular momentum affect the stability of non circular rotations?

Angular momentum plays a crucial role in the stability of non circular rotations. A higher angular momentum means a greater resistance to changes in rotational motion, making the rotation more stable. On the other hand, a lower angular momentum can lead to instability and chaotic motion.

5. Are there any real-life examples of non circular rotations where angular momentum is applied?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of non circular rotations where angular momentum is applied. Some common examples include the rotation of a spinning top, the motion of a satellite in an elliptical orbit, and the movement of a gyroscope. Angular momentum is also important in understanding the stability of objects like bicycles and cars.