Can any type of refrigerator work without a chemical refrigerant?

In summary: You actually don't really have a lot of choices nor should there be a lot of concerns there. Regardless of what you have it should be in good condition and maintained, and when it comes to refrigerant choice, you really don't have much of a choice. Government regulations make the choice for you.In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a mini fridge running solely on electricity without any toxic chemicals, with the term "toxic chemicals" being broadly defined. Different methods of refrigeration and their tradeoffs are also mentioned, as well as concerns about local toxicity and environmental impact. The regulations on refrigerant choice are also brought up.
LightningInAJar
Poster has been reminded to show more effort and research in their questions at PF
TL;DR Summary
[Same as title]
I was just wondering if a mini fridge could ever work on electricity alone with no toxic chemicals inside?

Engineering news on Phys.org
So in all of your Google searching for methods of refrigeration, what cycles and methods have you found? Please post at least 4 links to your reading, and ask specific questions about that reading. Thank you.

Likes Vanadium 50, sysprog and phinds
Peltier Device. Now please ask a well-considered question.

Likes russ_watters, sysprog and berkeman
This thread caught my eye, as my grandfather worked in an ice plant where they made 100 pound blocks of ice using ammonia as a refrigerant. He would always come home with a half block or so in his pickup truck and chip it up in a cooler where there was always some ice cold Coca-Cola

Likes sophiecentaur, russ_watters, berkeman and 3 others
LightningInAJar said:
I was just wondering if a mini fridge could ever work on electricity alone with no toxic chemicals inside?
In addition to the effort complaint, the term "toxic chemical" is extremely broad and ill-defined. Generally, everything that has atoms is a "chemical" and basically all of them are toxic if misused. Perhaps you are referring to working fluids vs solid state? Do we include or exclude solid-form toxic chemicals? And why stop at toxic? Some modern refrigerants have reduced toxicity, meaning they are unlikely to kill you by inhaling them if they leak. But the downside is they are more likely to burn-down your house (they are flammable hydrocarbons).

• Informative
Likes berkeman and dlgoff
russ_watters said:
In addition to the effort complaint, the term "toxic chemical" is extremely broad and ill-defined. Generally, everything that has atoms is a "chemical" and basically all of them are toxic if misused. Perhaps you are referring to working fluids vs solid state? Do we include or exclude solid-form toxic chemicals? And why stop at toxic? Some modern refrigerants have reduced toxicity, meaning they are unlikely to kill you by inhaling them if they leak. But the downside is they are more likely to burn-down your house (they are flammable hydrocarbons).
Yes of course. Anything that poses a risk to health compared to the least dangerous of electronics.

LightningInAJar said:
Anything that poses a risk to health compared to the least dangerous of electronics.
What exactly is your end game? You do realize that using the Peltier device for cooling/refrigeration is much less efficient than regular refrigeration cycles, so that requires a lot more burning of fossile fuels to do that cooling, right? Are you asking about in the next century when we will mostly be using renewable energy sources to power everything?

• Love
Likes russ_watters and dlgoff
berkeman said:
What exactly is your end game? You do realize that using the Peltier device for cooling/refrigeration is much less efficient than regular refrigeration cycles, so that requires a lot more burning of fossile fuels to do that cooling, right? Are you asking about in the next century when we will mostly be using renewable energy sources to power everything?
You mean...there's tradeoffs? :wideeyed:

• Haha
Likes sophiecentaur, dlgoff, phinds and 2 others
berkeman said:
I don't wish to waste energy but certainly am largely thinking about local toxicity. In particular putting a fridge unit in a room that typically wouldn't have one.

LightningInAJar said:
I don't wish to waste energy but certainly am largely thinking about local toxicity. In particular putting a fridge unit in a room that typically wouldn't have one.
And you are worried about that fridge exploding and leaking out its refrigerant?

Likes Vanadium 50
berkeman said:
And you are worried about that fridge exploding and leaking out its refrigerant?
Essentially yes. I sold an air conditioner a few months back because apparently you need to remove refrigerants in order to recycle or sell for parts. I don't want anything with extra baggage.

LightningInAJar said:
Essentially yes. I sold an air conditioner a few months back because apparently you need to remove refrigerants in order to recycle or sell for parts. I don't want anything with extra baggage.
Sorry, why did you sell it? Global warming?

LightningInAJar said:
You actually don't really have a lot of choices nor should there be a lot of concerns there. Regardless of what you have it should be in good condition and maintained, and when it comes to refrigerant choice, you really don't have much of a choice. Government regulations make the choice for you.
LightningInAJar said:
Well, yeah, if you like to dispose of old devices by dis-assembling them and selling them for parts, that's not really allowed for refrigeration devices (as an individual). You need a certified technician (both for legal and safety reasons) to recover the refrigerant. There's no getting around that.

• Informative
Likes dlgoff and berkeman
But I don't think this is a local toxicity issue. The oizone hole is being remediated as we speak because you must dispose of the old freon in a responsible way.
Chlorodifluoromethane is mildly toxic to breathe but if you fill your room with nitrogen you will also die. Why do you need a local refrigerator? (one big fridge is much better than many small ones)

berkeman said:
Sorry, why did you sell it? Global warming?
Mostly didn't have room and it wasn't as affective anymore.

hutchphd said:
But I don't think this is a local toxicity issue. The oizone hole is being remediated as we speak because you must dispose of the old freon in a responsible way.
Chlorodifluoromethane is mildly toxic to breathe but if you fill your room with nitrogen you will also die. Why do you need a local refrigerator? (one big fridge is much better than many small ones)
What type of fridge is known for giving off nitrogen?

LightningInAJar said:
What type of fridge is known for giving off nitrogen?
Nitrogen isn't normally used in compressor type refrigerator devices, it is however used to test the leak tightness of a HVAC system by pumping it into the system and checking the pressure after certain time intervals.
So after more than 100 years of using fridges your now afraid of them , why?
We have even gotten rid of chlorine components within those refrigerants in order to not affect the ozone layer , it is very rare for a fridge to leak if operated as per manufacturer instruction , and a small leak won't do you no harm unless ofcourse you never come out of your room and never open the window that is.

I really can't see your point, sorry.

Likes Tom.G
Nitrogen was given as an example of something that - while technically non toxic - will still kill you if something goes wrong. Basically your statement
LightningInAJar said:
I don't want anything with extra baggage.
is unrealistic. At best you can precisely define kind of an 'extra baggage' you want to avoid and select optimal solutions based on your definition, but there is no universal answer, and the question is way to handwavy.

Likes hutchphd and russ_watters
@LightningInAJar has yet again thrown a stone into the PF pond and is just watching the ripples. His claim of wanting to learn is very suspect.

Likes dlgoff, Vanadium 50 and Averagesupernova

1. Can any type of refrigerator work without a chemical refrigerant?

Yes, there are alternative refrigerants that can be used in refrigerators. These include natural refrigerants such as ammonia, carbon dioxide, and hydrocarbons. They are considered more environmentally friendly and have been used in some refrigerators.

2. What are the benefits of using alternative refrigerants in refrigerators?

Alternative refrigerants have a lower impact on the environment compared to chemical refrigerants. They also have a higher efficiency, which can lead to cost savings in the long run. Additionally, some alternative refrigerants are non-toxic and non-flammable, making them safer for household use.

3. Are there any drawbacks to using alternative refrigerants in refrigerators?

One potential drawback is that alternative refrigerants may not be compatible with all refrigerators. Some refrigerators may need to be modified or retrofitted in order to use alternative refrigerants. Additionally, some alternative refrigerants may have a higher initial cost compared to traditional chemical refrigerants.

4. Are there regulations or standards for using alternative refrigerants in refrigerators?

Yes, there are regulations and standards in place for the use of alternative refrigerants in refrigerators. These include safety and environmental standards set by organizations such as the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the International Institute of Refrigeration (IIR).

5. Can I convert my current refrigerator to use alternative refrigerants?

It is possible to convert some refrigerators to use alternative refrigerants, but it is not recommended to do so without proper training and knowledge. It is important to consult a professional and follow safety guidelines to ensure the conversion is done correctly and safely.