Can anybody explain the modulation of radio waves in terms of photons?

In summary, - photons are associated with the phase property- photons are energy packets whose energy varies as the frequency times the constant- it is complicated to talk about properties of photons
sriecewit
Hi All,

I wonder if the modulation of RF waves (Amplitude Modulation, Frequency Modulation, and Phase Modulation) can be explained in terms of photons.

Thanks,
Srini

Science news on Phys.org
Sure:
AM - you are sending either small or large number of photons in a unit of time.
FM - you are sending photons of such or another frequency
PM - at some moment you stop sending coherent photons like previously, and start sending the ones of the same frequency, but shifted in phase

xts said:
Sure:
AM - you are sending either small or large number of photons in a unit of time.
FM - you are sending photons of such or another frequency
PM - at some moment you stop sending coherent photons like previously, and start sending the ones of the same frequency, but shifted in phase

Can you elaborate the third one a bit?
More specifically, with respect to BPSK modulation, where the photons needs to be transmitted continuously. What difference does the photos experience when phase transition happens?

Srini

sriecewit said:
More specifically, with respect to BPSK modulation, where the photons needs to be transmitted continuously. What difference does the photos experience when phase transition happens?
Exactly the same, as for classical electromagnetism - the phase gets shifted, in case of BPSK by 180°. Time-dependent factor of the photon wavefunction is [itex]e^{-i(\omega t+\Theta_0)}[/itex], at the phase transition you stop sending coherent photons with factor [itex]e^{-i\omega t}[/itex] and start sending ones with [itex]e^{-i(\omega t+\pi)}[/itex]

xts said:
Time-dependent factor of the photon wavefunction is [itex]e^{-i(\omega t+\Theta_0)}[/itex], at the phase transition you stop sending coherent photons with factor [itex]e^{-i\omega t}[/itex] and start sending ones with [itex]e^{-i(\omega t+\pi)}[/itex]

Are photons associated with the phase property? Aren't they just energy packets, whose energy varies as the frequency times the constant?
Let me put it in this way. What all parameters does specify a photon?

sriecewit said:
Are photons associated with the phase property? Aren't they just energy packets, whose energy varies as the frequency times the constant?
Let me put it in this way. What all parameters does specify a photon?

This is a complicated question. Single photons do not have a definite phase (the phase for any number state is undefined). However, other states (coherent states etc) DO have definite phases. Even the concept of a photon is a bit tricky to define "properly" without a good understanding of field theory (=advanced quantum mechanics).
Anyway, the point is that you can't really talk about properties of photons, but you CAN talk about properties of fields.

So the answer to your questions is: it is complicated :wink:

Thanks for the help Guys !
:smile:

Related to Can anybody explain the modulation of radio waves in terms of photons?

1. How are radio waves modulated?

The modulation of radio waves involves changing the amplitude, frequency, or phase of the waves in order to transmit information. This is typically done by varying the amplitude or frequency of a carrier wave, which is then transmitted through an antenna.

2. What is the purpose of modulating radio waves?

The purpose of modulating radio waves is to transmit information over long distances. By varying the properties of the wave, the information can be encoded and decoded by receivers, allowing for communication between devices.

3. Can you explain the role of photons in the modulation of radio waves?

Radio waves, like all electromagnetic waves, are made up of photons. The modulation process involves changing the properties of these photons, such as their amplitude or frequency, in order to carry information. This is what allows us to transmit and receive radio signals.

4. How is information encoded in radio waves?

Information is encoded in radio waves through different modulation techniques. For example, in amplitude modulation (AM), the amplitude of the wave is varied to represent different signals. In frequency modulation (FM), the frequency of the wave is changed to encode information. Phase modulation (PM) is another technique where the phase of the wave is altered to carry information.

5. Is the modulation of radio waves a complex process?

The concept of modulating radio waves may seem complex, but the actual process is fairly simple. It involves changing the properties of the wave in a controlled manner to transmit information. However, the technology and equipment used for modulation can be quite complex and require precise calibration for effective communication.