Can anyone explain this anomaly?

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment where a magnet was spun inside a coil of wire to induce an emf and measure input and output power. The data showed that the slower the magnet spun, the larger the induced voltage and output power. This was found to be in line with the Faraday Law and the equation for induced emf. The conversation also considers potential reasons for this trend, including the skin effect and potential interference from a nearby motor.
Fielding

Homework Statement

Hi, so during an experiment, I spun a magnet inside a coil of wire in order to induce an emf, and measure the input power and output power. One of the things I found was that the slower the magnet spun (ie the smaller the input voltage to the motor) the larger the induced voltage and the greater the output power from the coil. Here is some of my data;

9.98v and 0.25A -> 0.06V and 0.04µA
4.95v and 0.15A -> 0.08V and 0.01µA
6.01v and 0.15A -> 0.11V and 0.15 µA

This was a general trend I found when changing variables such as the number of turns in the coil and the strength of the magnet. All my tests showed this trend. According to the Faraday Law and the equation for induced emf (E=Blv where B is the magnetic flux density, v the velocity of the coil/magnet and l the length of wire) the faster the magnet is spinning the higher the expected emf and therefore voltage. Can anyone think of any reasons why this might be happening?

Homework Equations

E=Blv
P=IV

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought maybe the skin effect, where resistance increases with higher AC frequencies, might have something to do with it but it requires frequencies much much higher than the ones I am using to have any effect.

Physics news on Phys.org
Most likely the setup was not what you thought you had. Perhaps the voltmeter you were using may not have been suitable for the frequency range involved?

Fielding said:

0.01µA is just 10nA and the output power <1nW.

Would it take much noise to cause a problem? You have a 1W brushed motor in close proximity?

Fielding said:
6.01v and 0.15A -> 0.11V and 0.15 µA
I may be reading this wrong. So the magnet is spinning with 4.95 velocity and producing .08V and 0.01 micro-amperes? Then when you increase the velocity to 6.01 the produced voltage and current is also increased? Isnt that what is expected?

1. What is an anomaly?

An anomaly is something that deviates from what is expected or normal. It can refer to an unexpected or unusual event, object, or phenomenon that does not fit into an existing pattern or explanation.

2. How do anomalies occur?

Anomalies can occur for a variety of reasons, including errors in data collection or analysis, unknown factors or variables affecting the system, or new discoveries that challenge previous beliefs or theories.

3. How do scientists explain anomalies?

Scientists use the scientific method to investigate and explain anomalies. This involves making observations, formulating hypotheses, testing them through experiments or observations, and analyzing the results to determine the most likely explanation for the anomaly.

4. Can anomalies be beneficial?

Yes, anomalies can sometimes lead to new discoveries or breakthroughs in scientific research. They can also help scientists identify flaws in existing theories and improve their understanding of the natural world.

5. How do anomalies impact scientific research?

Anomalies can significantly impact scientific research by challenging existing theories and prompting scientists to explore new ideas and hypotheses. They can also lead to advancements in technology and our understanding of the world around us.