Can anyone explain this derivation of the variable mass equation?

In summary, the conversation discusses two different derivations for mass accretion and ejection in a system. The first derivation uses the concept of a control volume and applies Newton's Second Law to the entire system, while the second derivation considers a "super-system" of constant mass and uses the conservation of momentum equation. The key difference between the two is the inclusion of the force exerted by particles outside the control volume in the second derivation. Ultimately, both derivations lead to the same result, but the second one provides a more detailed explanation of the forces at play.
etotheipi
This question stems from one of the recent homework threads. I'm familiar with the derivation given here regarding mass accretion and ejection, where the general idea is to define a system around body and all of the incoming/leaving mass so that we can once again apply NII to the whole thing.

I came across another derivation here (the top-voted answer) and struggle to see how it fits together.

Another equation may be derived from this one (##\mathbf{F} = \frac{d\mathbf{p}}{dt}##) applied to the whole super-system (system + incoming/leaving parts). This can be done because the super-system does not lose or gain particles. The new equation is $$\mathbf{F}_{ext} + \mathbf{F}_{parts} = \sum_k m_k \mathbf{a}_k$$ where ##\mathbf{F}_{parts}## is force on the system due to parts no longer inside the control volume and summation is to be done over all particles in the control volume. It can also be written$$\mathbf{F}_{ext} + \mathbf{F}_{parts} = \frac{d\mathbf{p}}{dt} + \frac{d\mathbf{p}_{lost}}{dt}$$In the simplest case, where the lost particles all leave in direction same or opposite to the body velocity ##\mathbf{v}## (idealized rocket), this can be further simplified. Let the boundary of the control volume be far from the rocket, so that velocity of particles crossing the boundary (relatively to the rocket) is constant ##\mathbf{c}## and ##\mathbf{F_{parts}}## is negligible. Then the lost momentum per unit time is $$\frac{d\mathbf{p}_{lost}}{dt} = -\frac{dm}{dt}(\mathbf{v} + \mathbf{c})$$

I have a few questions about all of this. First of all, where do the first two equations come from? He says he applied Newton II to the 'super-system' however I wonder then why we have this strange ##\mathbf{F}_{parts}## term (surely this is an internal force to that super-system?). Furthermore, this only corresponds to the sum over particles in the 'control volume'.

And I'm not sure how he obtains the second equation from the first. It's not clear to me in any of the steps which choice of system he is using. I wondered whether anyone could shed some light on this? Thanks!

Science news on Phys.org
vanhees71 said:
You have to take the momentum-conservation equation. Maybe this old post helps?

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...v-and-galilean-invariance.953956/post-6069532

Thanks for the reply. I understand the derivation based around conserving momentum for the entire (rocket + fuel) system, I'm just not sure about this derivation (particularly about ##\mathbf{F}_{parts}## and which systems are being used in each line).

I'll have a closer read through that thread however and see if I can see any parallels!

Likes vanhees71
I've now read through the whole thread and yes your derivation of ##dt(m\dot{v} + (v-u)\dot{m}) = F_{ext}dt## is the one that I am familiar with.

I now wonder how we obtain the relationship (with ##k## running over the particles in the rocket system only) $$\mathbf{F}_{ext} + \mathbf{F}_{parts} = \sum_k m_k \mathbf{a}_k = \frac{d\mathbf{p}}{dt} + \frac{d\mathbf{p_{lost}}}{dt}$$ At first glance it would seem like an application of ##\mathbf{F} = \frac{d\mathbf{p}}{dt}## to the rocket sub-system only, however we know this cannot be true since that system is not closed. I'm very confuzzled!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I've worked it out. At time ##t##, he considers a control volume containing the rocket and particles which haven't yet crossed the boundary, and the surroundings of this control volume consist of the particles that have already crossed the boundary.

He now considers the system containing everything within the control volume including the particles which cross out of the control volume in the time interval ##[t, t+ dt]##. This system is of constant mass, so Newton II applies. And furthermore, ##\mathbf{F}_{parts}## is just a part of the the total external force, exerted on this system by particles already outside the control volume.

The key thing is that the total momentum of this newly defined system ##\mathbf{p}_{sys}## can be split into the momentum of the particles which cross the boundary ##\mathbf{p}_{lost}## plus the momentum of those that remain in the control volume ##\mathbf{p}##. It follows that $$\mathbf{F}_{ext} + \mathbf{F}_{parts} = \frac{d\mathbf{p}_{sys}}{dt} = \frac{d\mathbf{p}}{dt} + \frac{d\mathbf{p}_{lost}}{dt}$$

And ##\frac{d\mathbf{p}_{lost}}{dt}## is then just ##-\frac{dm}{dt} (\mathbf{v} + \mathbf{c})##, and if the control volume is sufficiently large we do indeed get ##\mathbf{F}_{parts} \rightarrow 0##. This allows us to deduce the variation of the momentum of the control volume, without ever applying NII directly.

So in hindsight it's pretty similar to the other derivation, I was just having trouble deciphering what his variables and equations were referring to!

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the variable mass equation?

The variable mass equation is a mathematical formula that describes the relationship between an object's mass, its velocity, and the force acting on it. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the motion of objects with changing mass, such as rockets or projectiles.

2. Why is the mass variable in this equation?

The mass variable is included in the equation because it represents the amount of matter in an object. In situations where the mass of an object is changing, such as in a rocket as it burns fuel, the mass must be taken into account in order to accurately calculate its motion.

3. How is this derivation of the variable mass equation derived?

This derivation of the variable mass equation is derived using the principles of Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. By rearranging this equation and incorporating the concept of variable mass, we arrive at the variable mass equation.

4. What are some real-world applications of the variable mass equation?

The variable mass equation has many real-world applications, including in the design and operation of rockets, missiles, and other projectiles. It is also used in studying the motion of objects in fluid environments, such as airplanes, boats, and submarines.

5. Are there any limitations to using the variable mass equation?

While the variable mass equation is a useful tool for understanding the motion of objects with changing mass, it does have limitations. It assumes that the mass is changing at a constant rate, which may not always be the case in real-world situations. Additionally, it does not take into account other factors such as air resistance, which can affect the motion of an object.