What Determines the Placement of Orange Circles in This IQ Test Pattern?

• Thread starter KarminValso1724
  • Start date
In summary, the square colors determine which squares contain orange circles in the next example, not the one in which the colors are present.
KarminValso1724
http://www.matrix67.com/iqtest/01.jpg

I am having a lot of trouble solving it. From the information I have collected so far, they only ask us to show which squares contain orange circles, they did not ask us about which squares are blue or orang. So I think that the color of the surrounding squares determines which squares contain orange circles. There are also 4 circles per square which implies that the orange circles are each switching positions. That is all I have gathered so far. It also seems that the first questions on this test are harder than the later ones, if that helps.

Physics news on Phys.org
KarminValso1724 said:
So I think that the color of the surrounding squares determines which squares contain orange circles.
Picture 1 and 2 have the same square colors, but different orange circles.

Those problems are usually stupid. There is an infinite set of patterns that matches that sequence and any continuation you like. The person making the problem statement thought about one - but what prevents you from thinking about a different one? Ideally, the intended pattern is simpler than all others, but that is not guaranteed.

mfb said:
Picture 1 and 2 have the same square colors, but different orange circles.

Those problems are usually stupid. There is an infinite set of patterns that matches that sequence and any continuation you like. The person making the problem statement thought about one - but what prevents you from thinking about a different one? Ideally, the intended pattern is simpler than all others, but that is not guaranteed.
The square colors play a role in determining which squares contain orange circles in the next example, not the one in which the colors are present.

I don't know if that is true (you seem to be sure?), but even if it is, they cannot fully determine the positions, otherwise 2 and 3 would have the same.

mfb said:
I don't know if that is true (you seem to be sure?), but even if it is, they cannot fully determine the positions, otherwise 2 and 3 would have the same.
Not if the square colors determine in which direction the orange circles move somehow.

That would be possible, sure.
No matter what influences what, the rules are not symmetric, as image 1 is symmetric and image 2 is not.

1. What is the purpose of solving a pattern?

Solving a pattern allows us to recognize and understand repeating sequences or structures in data, which can help us make predictions, identify relationships, and draw conclusions.

2. How do you approach solving a pattern?

The first step in solving a pattern is to observe and analyze the given data. This involves identifying any repeating elements or sequences, as well as any patterns or trends. Then, we can use deductive reasoning to make predictions about the pattern and test them until we find a solution.

3. What strategies can be used to solve a pattern?

Some common strategies for solving patterns include looking for number or shape sequences, using algebraic equations and variables, using logic and deductive reasoning, and creating tables or diagrams to organize the data.

4. Is there a specific method for solving patterns?

There is no one specific method for solving patterns, as it often depends on the type of data and the complexity of the pattern. It is important to be flexible and try different approaches until a solution is found.

5. Can anyone solve a pattern, or is it only for experts?

Anyone can attempt to solve a pattern, but it may require some background knowledge and critical thinking skills. With practice and patience, anyone can improve their pattern recognition abilities and successfully solve patterns.