Can anyone suggest a good website to buy astronomy equipment?

In summary, if you are looking for proper and well-tested solar glasses and film for the upcoming total eclipse, I would suggest explicitly defining your needs and researching recommendations from sources like ThePlanets.org and BBC Sky at Night Magazine. Many of these recommended products can be found on websites such as Amazon or popular astronomy/telescope equipment websites. American Paper Optics is a reputable company that offers eclipse glasses and viewers that can also be used with cameras. Thousand Oaks Optical is another option for solar filter material. Additionally, some libraries may offer free solar eclipse glasses through programs like SEAL. Remember to take precautions to protect your eyes and camera.
LightningInAJar
I am looking into proper and well tested solar glasses for the upcoming total eclipse next year. Also solar film and clip to attach to my camera so I can do a video. I'm scared to just buy randomly on Amazon.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I would suggest that you begin by explicitly defining what you are looking for in the products. As an example, a Google search of "best solar glasses" yields a number of lists from places like ThePlanets.org and BBC Sky at Night Magazine with recommendations. Many of those recommended glasses are available at Amazon or other websites that are given.

Same procedure applies to a filter for your camera.

American Paper Optics makes them in the USA. Their website dedicated to Eclipse glasses is:
https://www.eclipseglasses.com/

I bought a bunch of them for the last eclipse and handed them out to the neighborhood. They at least used to also have viewers without the earpieces to be handheld, since these have a single large rectangular lens they work with cameras too.

I told the neighbors that if they returned the viewers to me, I would keep the for the next eclipse (that's the upcoming one in October).

(The company also does bulk orders, 3D glasses, and custom orders)

Cheers,
Tom

Likes russ_watters
I just bought some solar filter material from Thousand Oaks Optical, via Amazon.

Awesome. Thanks. Don't want to burn my eyes or camera out. Lol.

Likes davenn, DennisN and Drakkith
I know that some libraries do some solar eclipse sponsoring (I think the program is called SEAL), my public library has free solar eclipse glasses. They work out okay

1. Where can I find a reputable website to buy astronomy equipment?

One reputable website to buy astronomy equipment is Orion Telescopes & Binoculars. They offer a wide range of telescopes, binoculars, and accessories for astronomers of all levels.

2. Are there any websites that offer competitive prices on astronomy equipment?

Yes, websites like High Point Scientific and OPT Telescopes often have competitive prices on a variety of astronomy equipment. It's always a good idea to compare prices across different websites to find the best deal.

3. Can I trust online reviews when choosing a website to buy astronomy equipment?

Online reviews can be helpful in determining the reputation of a website, but it's important to read a variety of reviews and consider the source. Look for reviews from verified customers and reputable astronomy forums for more reliable information.

4. Are there any websites that offer a wide selection of used astronomy equipment?

Websites like Astromart and Cloudy Nights Classifieds are popular platforms for buying and selling used astronomy equipment. These websites often have a wide selection of pre-owned telescopes, eyepieces, and accessories at competitive prices.

5. What factors should I consider when choosing a website to buy astronomy equipment?

When choosing a website to buy astronomy equipment, consider factors such as the website's reputation, customer reviews, product selection, pricing, and return policy. It's also important to ensure that the website offers secure payment options and reliable customer service.