Can black holes split photons into elementary particles?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of black holes being made up of subatomic particles instead of a singularity, and the idea of a mass-energy feedback loop inside a black hole. The known laws of physics do not work at the singularity, and it is unclear if this concept has been proposed or accepted. Some theories, such as the fuzzball string theory, suggest that black holes may be composed of these subatomic particles. However, this is a rare process and not directly related to black holes.
stoomart
Hello all,

Is this a thing? I understand that a theory of quantum gravity is necessary to explain the physics at the core of a black hole, but it seems a black hole is the only environment energetic and dense enough to ignite a mass-energy feedback loop where colliding photons release the heavyweight W- and W+ bosons, which instantly annihilate and release their energy, thereby maintaining equilibrium minus Hawking radiation.

Sorry if this falls into the "new idea/personal theories" category, I just haven't had much luck finding information of photon fission besides this LHC article: http://cms.web.cern.ch/news/lhc-photon-collider

Physics news on Phys.org
The known laws of physics break down at the "core of a black hole" ... by which I'm guessing you mean the interior singularity.
You have to do known physics outside the event horizon (r>M for a non-rotating, neutrally charged, black hole).

You want to know if such an odd state could exist in some stage of a collapsing star? ... if a black hole forms before the critical conditions are met, then the answer is "probably not" - this is not a thing that happens in stars.

By core, I'm referring to the physical object inside the event horizon, whether that is a singularity or simply a dense orb of elementary particles, similar a gas star being a dense orb of atomic particles, and a neutron star being a dense orb of subatomic particles. Sorry I don't have a grasp on the mathematics yet, so I will start working on that. At this time, I'm mostly looking for a logical explanation to understand the mechanics inside a black hole. Thank you for your time and consideration.

What?

Photon+Photon -> W+ W- is an allowed reaction everywhere if the center-of-mass energy is large enough. It is an incredibly rare process, however. This has nothing to do with black holes. Even inside, space locally looks like it does outside. And our current theories don't work at the singularity (if there is one) anyway.
stoomart said:
and dense enough to ignite a mass-energy feedback loop where colliding photons release the heavyweight W- and W+ bosons, which instantly annihilate and release their energy, thereby maintaining equilibrium minus Hawking radiation.
That does not make sense at all.

Likes stoomart
Thanks mfb, I added crackpot to this post's tag list. : )

mfb said:
Even inside, space locally looks like it does outside. And our current theories don't work at the singularity (if there is one) anyway.
Does Quantum Mechanics allow black holes to consist of a mass of subatomic particles instead of a singularity? Was this ever an acceped or proposed theory?

stoomart said:
Does Quantum Mechanics allow black holes to consist of a mass of subatomic particles instead of a singularity? Was this ever an acceped or proposed theory?
Certainly not with the particles we know.

1. What is photon fission in black holes?

Photon fission in black holes refers to the process in which high-energy photons (particles of light) split into multiple lower-energy photons as they pass through the intense gravitational pull of a black hole.

2. How does photon fission occur in black holes?

Photon fission occurs due to the extreme warping of space-time around a black hole. As photons travel through this warped space, they can be pulled in different directions, causing them to split into multiple lower-energy photons.

3. Can photon fission be observed or measured?

Currently, there is no way to directly observe or measure photon fission in black holes. However, scientists can study the effects of photon fission on the surrounding environment, such as the emission of X-rays and gamma rays, to indirectly study this phenomenon.

4. What is the significance of photon fission in black holes?

Photon fission in black holes is significant because it provides insight into the extreme gravitational forces and warping of space-time near these objects. It also has implications for our understanding of how energy is released in the universe.

5. Could photon fission in black holes be harnessed for energy production?

Currently, there is no known way to harness photon fission in black holes for energy production. The extreme conditions near black holes make it difficult to manipulate or control this phenomenon. However, further research on this topic may lead to new insights and potential applications in the future.