Can Bose-Einstein condensates be created with decaying isotopes?

In summary, I think it is possible to create a BEC with a heterogeneous condensate, but the effect would be minimal.
newdaddy
So this is a very novice but sincere question. I've just done a bit of reading about Bose-Einstein condensates, and the question that I immediately had was, What happens if one creates a BEC out of an isotope which is subject to radioactive decay? Would the atoms all necessarily remain in the same state? Or decay in lockstep? Is it even possible to create a BEC with such a material?

Thanks -

Physics news on Phys.org
At a first glance, I'd expect the answer to be a competition between energies: you gain energy by decaying, but lose by taking atoms out of the BEC. I would imagine that for all decays with a realistic lifetime, the energy involved greatly out-weighs the energy to pay for reducing the condensate.

Thanks for your reply. I believe you are correct regarding the competition between energies.

If a BEC were to be achieved, wouldn't all the atoms in the condensate then share the same quantum state? If so, wouldn't they then all have to decay either at once or not at all? Maybe if some of them decay prior to reaching the BEC then it precludes them from ever doing so with undecayed atoms? In general is it possible to make a BEC with a heterogeneous condensate?

newdaddy said:
Thanks for your reply. I believe you are correct regarding the competition between energies.

If a BEC were to be achieved, wouldn't all the atoms in the condensate then share the same quantum state? If so, wouldn't they then all have to decay either at once or not at all? Maybe if some of them decay prior to reaching the BEC then it precludes them from ever doing so with undecayed atoms? In general is it possible to make a BEC with a heterogeneous condensate?

intuitively, i can not see anything potentially interesting about a bec of decaying isotopes.

let us do not talk about nuclear physics, but just atomic physics

assume that all the atoms are in the electronic excited state, so that they also will decay by emitting photons.

the atoms couple to the EM waves in the universe

If the radius of the bec is much smaller than the wavelength of the photon, then they will decay collectively, this effect is called Dicke superradiance

if the radius of the bec is much larger than the wavelength of the photon, then intuitively, i think there is nothing of a nature of collectiveness.

For the nuclear reaction, say, the wavelength of the gamma rays is just orders smaller than the radius of the bec, and i guess there is nothing special.

newdaddy said:
So this is a very novice but sincere question. I've just done a bit of reading about Bose-Einstein condensates, and the question that I immediately had was, What happens if one creates a BEC out of an isotope which is subject to radioactive decay? Would the atoms all necessarily remain in the same state? Or decay in lockstep? Is it even possible to create a BEC with such a material?

Thanks -

i think you can have a look of the mossbauer effect

A very similar situation to a decaying isotope is the BEC of 2d microcavity exciton-polaritons. These are basically quasiparticles composed of some excitonic and some photonic content confined in a cavity and constantly leak out of the cavity due to the photonic content.

The landmark paper in this area is "Bose–Einstein condensation of exciton polaritons" by J. Kasprzak et al., Nature 443, 409-414. There are also many follow-up papers on the physics of nonequilibrium BECs.

1. What is a decaying isotope in BEC?

A decaying isotope in BEC (Bose-Einstein Condensate) refers to a radioactive atom that has been cooled to extremely low temperatures, causing it to enter a state of matter known as a Bose-Einstein condensate. This unique state allows scientists to study the properties of the atom in a highly controlled environment.

2. How is a decaying isotope in BEC created?

A decaying isotope in BEC is created by first isolating a specific type of radioactive atom and then cooling it down using various techniques, such as laser cooling or evaporative cooling. This causes the atoms to slow down and eventually reach a state of Bose-Einstein condensation.

3. What are the benefits of studying decaying isotopes in BEC?

Studying decaying isotopes in BEC allows scientists to gain a better understanding of the fundamental nature of matter and the behavior of atoms at extremely low temperatures. It also has practical applications in fields such as quantum computing and precision measurement.

4. What is the relationship between decaying isotopes and BEC?

The relationship between decaying isotopes and BEC lies in the process of creating a Bose-Einstein condensate. By cooling down a radioactive atom, it can reach a state of BEC, which allows for precise measurements and studies of the atom's properties.

5. How are decaying isotopes in BEC used in scientific research?

Decaying isotopes in BEC are used in a variety of scientific research, including studies of quantum mechanics, precision measurements, and the creation of new materials. They also play a crucial role in advancing our understanding of the fundamental nature of matter.