Can Calculus Prove Average Solar Irradiance is a Quarter of Total?

In summary, the conversation discusses a method for showing that the average solar irradiance over Earth's surface is 1/4 of the total solar irradiance using calculus. The equation for solar irradiance is given and it is suggested to use geometry to show the average value. The question asks for suggestions on how to use calculus instead, considering the rotating Earth.
Dr.Doom

Homework Statement

I am trying to show that the average solar irradiance over Earth's surface is 1/4 of the total solar irradiance using only calculus.

Homework Equations

Solar Irradiance = [itex]S_{o}[/itex]
Irradiance = F = [itex]S_{o}[/itex]cos(θ)

The Attempt at a Solution

Using geometry, I can easily show that the average solar irradiance is [itex]S_{o}[/itex]/4 by multiplying [itex]S_{o}[/itex] by the ratio of the incident area and total surface area of a sphere:
[itex]\frac{S_{o}*∏r^2}{4∏r^2}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{S_{o}}{4}[/itex]

My question is how can I use calculus to show this? I was thinking that I could integrate [itex]S_{o}[/itex]cos(θ), but I'm not sure what my integration bounds should be. I'm having trouble visualizing how I can integrate over the entire surface area of a sphere.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

[Edit] I realize this is probably not the right forum to post this question in but I don't know how to change it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Googling the definition of solar irradiance your problem came up in one of the links, looks like you need to consider the rotating Earth in your problem.

1. What is average solar irradiance?

Solar irradiance refers to the amount of solar energy that reaches a specific area on Earth's surface. The average solar irradiance is the average amount of solar energy that reaches the Earth's surface over a certain period of time, typically measured in watts per square meter.

2. How is average solar irradiance measured?

Average solar irradiance is measured by using devices called radiometers, which are equipped with sensors that detect the amount of solar energy hitting a specific area. These measurements are then averaged over a certain time period to determine the average solar irradiance.

3. What factors can affect average solar irradiance?

Several factors can affect average solar irradiance, including the Earth's tilt and rotation, the distance between the Earth and the sun, atmospheric conditions, and the amount of cloud cover. Changes in these factors can result in fluctuations in average solar irradiance over time.

4. Why is average solar irradiance important?

Average solar irradiance is important because it helps us understand how much solar energy is available for use on Earth. It can also be used to track changes in solar activity and how these changes may impact our climate and environment.

5. How does average solar irradiance impact solar energy production?

The amount of solar irradiance directly affects the amount of energy that can be produced by solar panels. Higher levels of average solar irradiance mean more solar energy can be harnessed, while lower levels may result in decreased energy production. Understanding average solar irradiance is crucial for effectively utilizing solar energy as a renewable and sustainable energy source.