Can Contractive Maps and the Sandwich Theorem Prove Sequence Convergence?

• Thread starter K29
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary, the student is trying to solve a problem where they are given the statement that if there exists a limit for a sequence, then the limit for the sequence is also the sequence. They are not able to apply the definition of a limit to anything and are asking for help.
K29

Homework Statement

This question has been literally troubling me for 2 days.
Question 2(b)
Suppose for some [tex]c \in R, 0<c<1,[/tex] we have [tex]|a_{n+1}-L|<c|a_{n}-L|[/tex] for [tex]\forall n \in N [/tex] (1)

Use the sandwich theorem and the fact that[tex]\stackrel{lim}{_{n\rightarrow\infty}} c^{n}=0[/tex] to prove that
[tex]\stackrel{lim}{_{n \rightarrow \infty}}a_{n}=L[/tex]

Note: I also know and have proven in questions 2(a) that:
[tex]|a_{n}-L| \leq c^{n} |a_{0} - L| \forall n \in N[/tex](2)

Note:[tex] a_{n} [/tex] is an element of the sequence [tex](a_{n})[/tex]

Homework Equations

Definition of a limit:
[tex]\forall n \in N, \forall \epsilon > 0, \exists K_{ \epsilon} \in R, n \ge K_{\epsilon}[/tex] such that [tex]|a_{n}-L|< \epsilon[/tex]

Sandwich theorem:
[tex]a_{n} \leq b_{n} \leq c_{n}, \stackrel{lim}{_{n \rightarrow \infty}}a_{n} = \stackrel{lim}{_{n \rightarrow \infty}}c_{n}=L \Rightarrow \stackrel{lim}{_{n \rightarrow \infty}}b_{n}=L[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

for the sandwich theorem I could have [tex] b_{n} =c^{n} a_{n}[/tex]. This is less than [tex]a_{n}[/tex] since c is between zero and one. However the limit of this is 0(which is also under the assumption that the limit of [tex]a_{n}[/tex] exists, which we are trying to prove. So starting off with sandwich theorem basics doesn't really help me because I also can't think of any [tex]c_{n} \geq a_{n}[/tex].

The next thing I tried is considering the statements in the problem.
[tex]|a_{n}-L| \leq c^{n} |a_{0} - L|[/tex] could have been useful. But it doesn't imply anything about the sequence and its limits. I.E. I can't assume that this implies that [tex]a_{n} \leq c^{n}a_{0}[/tex]

I can't really apply the definition of a limit to anything. By making the assumption that any of the equations above are less than some[tex]\epsilon[/tex] almost automatically gives the result that the limit for [tex]a_{n}[/tex] is L. i.e assuming the right hand side of equation (2) is less than some epsilon for [tex]\forall n>K[/tex]means[tex]|a_{n}-L|<\epsilon[/tex] holds true as well.

Well it would almost hold true. But without knowing the details of [tex]a_{n}[/tex] I caan't prove it to be true. I.E I can't construct a [tex]K_{\epsilon}[/tex] unless I know more about [tex]a_{n}[/tex]

PLEASE help on this one. I've been struggling for ages. Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just a thought - Do your materials have a theorem that says
If [tex] lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} | a_n - L | = 0 [/tex] then [tex] lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} a_n= L [/tex] ?

If so, you could consider defining 3 sequences by
[tex] \{b_n\} = 0 [/tex]
[tex] \{|A_n - L|\} [/tex]
[tex] \{c^n | A_0 - L |\} [/tex]

My materials don't have it, but I easily proved it and the proof is so short this must be right. Thanks!

Related to Can Contractive Maps and the Sandwich Theorem Prove Sequence Convergence?

1. What are basic limits in mathematics?

Basic limits in mathematics refer to the concept of approaching a certain value or value range as an independent variable gets closer and closer to a specific value. This is often used in calculus to determine the behavior of functions and their graphs.

2. How are basic limits calculated?

Basic limits are calculated by evaluating the function at different values of the independent variable and observing the behavior of the function as the variable gets closer to a specific value. This can be done algebraically or graphically.

3. What are contractive maps?

Contractive maps, also known as contraction mappings, are functions that shrink the distance between two points in a metric space. In other words, the images of two points under a contractive map will always be closer together than the two original points.

4. How do contractive maps relate to basic limits?

Contractive maps can be used to prove the existence of basic limits. If a function is contractive, it is guaranteed to have a unique fixed point, which is the limit of the function as the independent variable approaches a certain value. This can be proven using the Banach fixed point theorem.

5. What are some real-world applications of basic limits and contractive maps?

Basic limits and contractive maps have many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. In physics, they are used to study the behavior of physical systems as variables approach certain values. In economics, they are used to model economic growth and stability. In engineering, they are used to design control systems and predict the behavior of structures under different conditions.