Can Copper Patina be Applied to Lead-Free Solder in Stained Glass Work?

• Thread starter CWatters
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Copper
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of copper patina in stained glass work and the potential issues with achieving a uniform copper finish. It mentions the importance of cleaning the solder and the different types of solder available. The main active ingredient in the patina is copper sulfate, which can react with both lead and tin. The conversation also suggests trying different types of solder if issues arise.
CWatters
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I've just starting out doing some stained glass work which involves applying copper tape to the edges of glass then soft soldering the parts together.

You can buy a Copper Patina solution that is intended to be brushed onto the solder to give it a nice shiny copper patina. However reports on various stain glass forums say this can be problematic. Some people say they get a black/grey or mottled coating instead of a nice uniform copper finish.

Most of the solutions I've found suggest the importance of cleaning the solder but I'd like to get a rough idea of the likely reaction to see if the type of solder also makes a difference.

The patina I have says it contains "Water, Selenium Compound, Nitric Acid and Copper Sulphate"

There are two main types of solder:

1) Lead Based Solder contains a mix of Tin and Lead in the ratio 60:40 (although other ratios are available).
2) Lead Free Solder contains mostly Tin (95%), silver (3-4%) and copper (<1%)

So presumably the Nitric Acid is used as a cleaner and the Copper Sulphate is the main active ingredient.

Some forum posts suggests you can't or can't reliably apply copper patina to Lead Free solder. That suggests the reaction is between the lead and sulphur leaving the copper behind? Does that sound right?

In which case would it make sense to try a solder with a higher lead content such as 40:60 instead of 60:40?

Thanks.

Edit: I found a post that suggests copper sulphate will react with tin as well as lead so perhaps the ratio doesn't matter?

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tin(II)_sulfate
a displacement reaction between metallic tin and copper(II) sulfate:[4]
Sn (s) + CuSO4 (aq) → Cu (s) + SnSO4 (aq)
Lead, zinc should do a similar metal displacement.
Try an iron ( steel ) member to see if that form a copper surface, just for fun.

Though I don't know the concentrations of the aqueous solutions for all those reactions to be carried out.
Your patina should be somewhat dilute I would presume blue.

In preparation of the patina solution,
It could be that the nitric acid was used to dissolve copper, and sulfuric acid was added to change the 'species' so the metallic displacement would occur when applied to another metal. And they call it nitric acid, copper sulfate solution - just guessing.

see here also,
http://dwb5.unl.edu/CHEM/SmallScale/SmallScale-016.html
could explain the black color for some applications.

Not a chemist, just trying to give you some avenues for exploration.

Definitely displacement is what drives the deposition. Tin and lead have very similar redox potential for the X → X2+ oxidation, so they should both behave similarly.

Trick is, devil is often in details. Basic ideas are easily covered based on GenChem101 but then at some point it becomes just a black magic. Minute amounts of other elements can change the behavior of the surface and make the deposition difficult. If something goes wrong I would try solder from a completely different source.

Thanks folks.

1. What is copper patina for soft solder?

Copper patina for soft solder is a chemical process that creates a thin layer of corrosion on the surface of copper alloys, such as soft solder. This layer can range in color from green to blue and can add a decorative and protective element to the metal.

2. How is copper patina for soft solder created?

Copper patina for soft solder is created by exposing the surface of the copper alloy to a combination of acids, salts, and other chemicals. This process causes the copper to oxidize and form the characteristic patina layer.

3. What are the benefits of using copper patina for soft solder?

The primary benefit of using copper patina for soft solder is that it adds a layer of protection to the metal, making it more resistant to corrosion. It also adds a unique aesthetic to the metal, making it a popular choice for decorative applications.

4. Can copper patina for soft solder be removed?

Yes, copper patina for soft solder can be removed through a process called pickling, which involves using a weak acid solution to dissolve the patina layer. However, this process should only be done by professionals, as it can damage the metal if not done properly.

5. How should copper patina for soft solder be maintained?

To maintain the patina on copper soft solder, it is important to avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive cleaning methods. Instead, use a soft cloth and mild soap and water to gently clean the surface. Regularly applying a sealant can also help protect the patina layer.

Back