Can Decision Theory Be Used to Understand Complex Adaptive Systems?

In summary: Ah yes, I thought as much. I wander if anyone has tried to create an algorithm that can analyze its own functioning? Thanks again!
hepiaaro
Hi, I am a mathematics student. I have recently become interested in Systems Theory and Complex Adaptive Systems Theory. In reading through a textbook on the subject I came across a small section on decision theory.

Is anyone familiar with Decision Theory? Or more importantly, familiar with its relevance to complex adaptive systems? What can you use the language to reason about? How "versatile" is it?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not super knowledgeable in this topic, so someone who is can hopefully chime in with more detail, but, I'll add what I can. A friend of mine is doing research in computer science and neural networks. What they are using is algorithms to solve puzzles, and so what they do is code whatever it is (I'm not exactly sure, unfortunately), and run the system. It will try and find a way to solve the system it's given, while simultaneously remembering which ways worked best and it remembers it for future trials. The more trials they run, the more that it finds the better, and faster, route to take.

Like I said, I'm not super knowledgeable, but this more or less gives you an idea of some applications.

Physics-UG said:
What they are using is algorithms to solve puzzles, and so what they do is code whatever it is (I'm not exactly sure, unfortunately), and run the system. It will try and find a way to solve the system it's given, while simultaneously remembering which ways worked best and it remembers it for future trials.

Did your friend tell you whether this "memory" can be understood by humans? And whether the algorithm explores the reasons a particular solution did not work? What I'm trying to get at is whether we can learn anything about how to analyze systems ourselves? You can imagine a kind of feedback loop between the algorithm and optimization by human intervention?

hepiaaro said:
Did your friend tell you whether this "memory" can be understood by humans? And whether the algorithm explores the reasons a particular solution did not work? What I'm trying to get at is whether we can learn anything about how to analyze systems ourselves? You can imagine a kind of feedback loop between the algorithm and optimization by human intervention?

He hasn't. However, although his responding can be hit or miss I did text him and ask and whenever I do get a reply I'll let you know. I would imagine that the system must use some form of analysis in order to understand why path A didn't work, path B did, and find out what made path A more susceptible to failure, but I may be wrong.

Likes hepiaaro
Physics-UG said:
He hasn't. However, although his responding can be hit or miss I did text him and ask and whenever I do get a reply I'll let you know. I would imagine that the system must use some form of analysis in order to understand why path A didn't work, path B did, and find out what made path A more susceptible to failure, but I may be wrong.

Thank you stranger! :smile:

hepiaaro said:
Thank you stranger! :smile:

So this is what he said. I was a little off since it was a while since him and I had talked about it. It doesn't really memorize paths, it learns parameter weights. So, basically what it does is learn a function of the input, usually by mapping to a probability of some sort; so it can't really be understood by humans.

It's kind of what deep dream does, it would take a trained NN, give it some input, and enhance the features that it detects in the image so you see what it "sees".

Physics-UG said:
So this is what he said. I was a little off since it was a while since him and I had talked about it. It doesn't really memorize paths, it learns parameter weights. So, basically what it does is learn a function of the input, usually by mapping to a probability of some sort; so it can't really be understood by humans.

It's kind of what deep dream does, it would take a trained NN, give it some input, and enhance the features that it detects in the image so you see what it "sees".

Ah yes, I thought as much. I wander if anyone has tried to create an algorithm that can analyze its own functioning? Thanks again!

1. What is decision theory?

Decision theory is a field of study that aims to understand and improve the process of making decisions. It involves the use of mathematical models and principles to analyze and optimize the decision-making process.

2. What are the key components of decision theory?

The key components of decision theory include decision-making agents, alternatives or options, outcomes, and preferences. Decision-making agents can be individuals, organizations, or artificial intelligence systems. Alternatives refer to the different options available to the decision-maker. Outcomes are the result of choosing a particular alternative, and preferences are the criteria used to evaluate and compare the outcomes.

3. How does decision theory differ from other decision-making approaches?

Decision theory differs from other decision-making approaches in its use of mathematical models and principles. It is also more systematic and rational compared to intuition-based or heuristic decision-making. Additionally, decision theory considers the decision-making process as a whole, rather than focusing on a specific decision.

4. What are the different types of decision-making models used in decision theory?

There are several types of decision-making models used in decision theory, including the expected utility model, the prospect theory, and the game theory. These models differ in their assumptions, methods, and applications, but all aim to provide a framework for making optimal decisions.

5. How is decision theory used in real-life applications?

Decision theory has various real-life applications, such as in economics, business, psychology, and politics. It is used to make strategic decisions, manage risk, allocate resources, and design policies. For example, in the business world, decision theory can be used to determine the best pricing strategy, investment decisions, and marketing campaigns.