TU Eindhoven or Universität Leipzig?

• Schools
  • Thread starter Thor4Four
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Decision
In summary: Particle accelerator and/or work for a Fusion reactor firm (doing research or design). I am not currently in contact with my family in Germany, but could find them should I need to. I also will probably not be able to visit before I commit to a college. In summary, the speaker is a US international student who is considering studying physics at either Leipzig or Eindhoven. They are interested in the IPSP Program at Leipzig and the Applied Physics program at Eindhoven. They are drawn to Leipzig's history and notable alumni, as well as their German heritage and fascination with German culture and language. However, Eindhoven has a beautiful campus and offers more career experience opportunities. The cost of attending Leipzig is $9000 per semester
Thor4Four
I am a US international student who will be studying physics as a freshman in the Fall or Winter (depending on which uni I choose) I will be doing the IPSP Program at Leipzig if I choose Leipzig, and if I choose Eindhoven I will be studying Applied Physics in English.

Leipzig has so much history to it and the university is over 600 years old which is appealing to me, as well as all of the notable alumni. I also have German heritage and have been fascinated by German culture and language. Leipzig sounds like a place where I would get that with all the festivals, but at the same time Eindhoven has such a beautiful campus, and seems to guarantee more career experience opportunities (with internship possibilities) at nearby technical businesses.

Eindhoven is very different in that it is a new university, has a higher ranked Physics program, and the Netherlands seems much more relaxed. This is very appealing to me, and I think the university is more organized/has more opportunities for international students than Leipzig. I also have Dutch relatives I can contact should there be an emergency. I also like the modern style of Eindhoven's library much more than Leipzig's and the library is an important factor to me. I also like the centralization of the campus, and how buildings are currently under construction and have nice architecture, but the city also has relatively little history to it.

The cost of attending Leipzig/semester will be about $9000 (there is no tuition) and Eindhoven would be about $19000 ($10,000 tuition).

Also, I really enjoy the philosophy of Physics, but as far as I understand applied physics cuts out a lot of the philosophy and theory in physics and replaces it with engineering. This may be useful to me however as I might dual major later on in my career with Physics and Systems Engineering, and I have heard applied physics is good for systems, but I also really don't want to miss out on the theoretical side of physics.

Note I aspire to attain a doctoral degree in physics, and want to work at a Particle accelerator and/or work for a Fusion reactor firm (doing research or design). Also I am not currently in contact with my family in Germany, but could find them should I need to. I also will probably not be able to visit before I commit to a college.

Minor Concerns Include -I want to wear a lab coat for fun (I think this would be acceptable in Eindhoven, but what would happen in Leipzig?) -I like Asian food and especially boba, but do not expect to find much in Europe -Ideally I want to go to a gym that does not close (apparently Leipzig has one)

Any advice is much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Thor4Four said:
I am a US international student who will be studying physics as a freshman in the Fall or Winter (depending on which uni I choose) I will be doing the IPSP Program at Leipzig if I choose Leipzig, and if I choose Eindhoven I will be studying Applied Physics in English.

Leipzig has so much history to it and the university is over 600 years old which is appealing to me, as well as all of the notable alumni. I also have German heritage and have been fascinated by German culture and language. Leipzig sounds like a place where I would get that with all the festivals, but at the same time Eindhoven has such a beautiful campus, and seems to guarantee more career experience opportunities (with internship possibilities) at nearby technical businesses.

Eindhoven is very different in that it is a new university, has a higher ranked Physics program, and the Netherlands seems much more relaxed. This is very appealing to me, and I think the university is more organized/has more opportunities for international students than Leipzig. I also have Dutch relatives I can contact should there be an emergency. I also like the modern style of Eindhoven's library much more than Leipzig's and the library is an important factor to me. I also like the centralization of the campus, and how buildings are currently under construction and have nice architecture, but the city also has relatively little history to it.

The cost of attending Leipzig/semester will be about $9000 (there is no tuition) and Eindhoven would be about $19000 ($10,000 tuition).

Also, I really enjoy the philosophy of Physics, but as far as I understand applied physics cuts out a lot of the philosophy and theory in physics and replaces it with engineering. This may be useful to me however as I might dual major later on in my career with Physics and Systems Engineering, and I have heard applied physics is good for systems, but I also really don't want to miss out on the theoretical side of physics.

Note I aspire to attain a doctoral degree in physics, and want to work at a Particle accelerator and/or work for a Fusion reactor firm (doing research or design). Also I am not currently in contact with my family in Germany, but could find them should I need to. I also will probably not be able to visit before I commit to a college.

Minor Concerns Include -I want to wear a lab coat for fun (I think this would be acceptable in Eindhoven, but what would happen in Leipzig?) -I like Asian food and especially boba, but do not expect to find much in Europe -Ideally I want to go to a gym that does not close (apparently Leipzig has one)

Any advice is much appreciated!
Hey
I say Leipzig if you really want to study physics, it's better if you want to focus purley on physics and master the subject
Though it's my own personal opinion,I feel that applied physics is more of engineering
By the way I got accepted to leipzig for this year's winter semester . hope you did as well

1. What is the difference between TU Eindhoven and Universität Leipzig?

TU Eindhoven is a technical university located in the Netherlands, while Universität Leipzig is a general university located in Germany. Both universities offer a variety of programs in different fields of study, but the main difference lies in their focus and specialization.

2. Which university has a better reputation?

This is a subjective question and depends on various factors. Both TU Eindhoven and Universität Leipzig are highly reputable universities in their respective countries and have a strong international presence. It is recommended to research the specific programs and departments of interest to determine which university would be a better fit.

3. Can I study at both TU Eindhoven and Universität Leipzig?

Yes, it is possible to study at both universities through exchange programs or dual degree programs. However, it is important to note that the admission requirements and application processes may differ for each university and will require careful planning and coordination.

4. How is the student life at TU Eindhoven and Universität Leipzig?

The student life at both universities is vibrant and diverse. They offer a variety of extracurricular activities, clubs, and organizations for students to get involved in. Additionally, both cities have a rich cultural and social scene, providing opportunities for students to explore and engage in their free time.

5. What are the tuition fees for international students at TU Eindhoven and Universität Leipzig?

Tuition fees for international students at both universities vary depending on the program and level of study. Generally, TU Eindhoven has lower tuition fees compared to Universität Leipzig for international students. It is recommended to check the specific program's website for accurate and up-to-date information on tuition fees.