Can defibrillation work on a completely stopped heart?

• Thread starter fawk3s
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heart
In summary, the lecturer stated that in movies, the portrayal of defibrillation with a flat line ECG and no electrical impulses is incorrect. There must be some electric pulses present for it to work. While defibrillators are used to correct heart rhythm, they are not effective for a flat line ECG. In this case, internal or external pacemakers may be used, along with drugs to improve the chances of restarting the heart.
fawk3s
I had this first-aid lecture today, and something I heard got me confused.

So the lecturer said that the "peeeeeeeep" and no electrical impulses being read by the electrocardiograph and the doctors continuing to defib the patient in the movies is basically wrong. That there ought to be some sort of electric pulses for the defib to work.
Now I knew that defibs were used to correct the hearts rythm, but what I can't comprehend is why wouldn't in work if the heart had stopped completely? Because I've always thought it would.

Thanks in advance,
fawk3s

Biology news on Phys.org
fawk3s said:
I had this first-aid lecture today, and something I heard got me confused.

So the lecturer said that the "peeeeeeeep" and no electrical impulses being read by the electrocardiograph and the doctors continuing to defib the patient in the movies is basically wrong. That there ought to be some sort of electric pulses for the defib to work.
Now I knew that defibs were used to correct the hearts rythm, but what I can't comprehend is why wouldn't in work if the heart had stopped completely? Because I've always thought it would.

Thanks in advance,
fawk3s

It's called defibrillation because it can convert ventricular fibrillation to a functional rhythm. Fibrillation is localized disorganized activity of the heart muscle which does not produce effective pumping action.

The true "flat line" ECG rarely, if ever, responds to external defibrillation. There's nothing there to convert. The most effective treatment, when possible, may be to install an internal (transvenous) ventricular pacemaker via a right arm (brachial)vein, right jugular vein or the right femoral vein from the groin area. Of course it doesn't always work since a flat line ECG (asystole) has a very poor prognosis, but it's better than wasting time by repeatedly trying to defibrillate a heart that's not fibrillating. Drugs are administered to optimize the environment for restarting the heart. There are also external (transcutaneous) pacemakers that can be tried.

Last edited:

What is defibrillation?

Defibrillation is a medical procedure used to treat life-threatening cardiac arrhythmias, most commonly ventricular fibrillation. It involves delivering an electrical shock to the heart to restore its normal rhythm.

How does a defibrillator work?

A defibrillator works by delivering an electrical shock to the heart, which causes the heart muscles to contract simultaneously and allows the heart to reset and resume its normal rhythm. This process is known as cardioversion.

Who can perform defibrillation?

Defibrillation can be performed by trained medical professionals, such as doctors, nurses, and paramedics. However, automated external defibrillators (AEDs) are also available for use by non-medical personnel in emergency situations.

When should defibrillation be used?

Defibrillation should be used as soon as possible in the event of sudden cardiac arrest. The sooner a defibrillator is used, the better the chances of survival for the patient. Every minute without defibrillation decreases the chances of survival by 7-10%.

Are there any risks associated with defibrillation?

While defibrillation is generally a safe and effective procedure, there are some potential risks, such as burns or damage to the heart muscle. However, the benefits of defibrillation far outweigh the risks in emergency situations where it can save a person's life.