Can Diffeomorphisms be Represented by Matrices and Used in Image Analysis?

In summary, a diffeomorphism is a linear transformation of all the tangent spaces, and the standard matrix representation of its total derivative is the Jacobian matrix.
garrus
I'm a complete rookie here, and i'd like some help.
For starters , can a diffeomorphic mapping be represented via a matrix , like say a transformation?
If so, how would it be parameterised?

Physics news on Phys.org
No you cannot represent it by a matrix, since it is not a linear transformation.

A diffeomorphism is a linear transformation of all the tangent spaces, so you can give the infinite collection of matrices

∂Xi/∂Yj

at each point of the manifold

Hi garrus. dx already answered the crux of your question but let's specialize to the case of ##\mathbb{R}^{n}##. Let ##U\subseteq \mathbb{R}^{n}## be open, ##p\in U##, and ##F:U\rightarrow \mathbb{R}^{m}## a map differentiable at ##p##. Recall that ##F## is differentiable at ##p## if there exists a linear map ##DF(p)## such that ##\lim _{v\rightarrow 0}\frac{|F(p + v) - F(p) - DF(p)v|}{|v|} = 0##. As you may remember, we call ##DF(p)## the total derivative of ##F## at ##p##. Now, as dx noted we may not be able to represent ##F## itself as a matrix if it isn't itself linear on ##\mathbb{R}^{n}## (in which case it agrees with its total derivative) but ##DF(p)## is linear and one can show that the standard matrix representation of ##DF(p)## is given by ##[DF(p)]_{S} = (\frac{\partial F^{j}}{\partial x^{i}}(p))##. This is none other than the Jacobian matrix. You can think of the linear map ##DF(p)## as being the best linear approximation of ##F## in a neighborhood of ##p##. As dx noted above, you can then develop such a formalism on arbitrary smooth manifolds.

Thanks for your responses, but i think I'm way out of my league :/
I want to apply a diffeomorphism in image analysis and I'm looking for a way to build a function to map pixel positions.

edit: disregard that.

Last edited:

1. What is a diffeomorphism?

A diffeomorphism is a mathematical concept that describes a smooth and invertible mapping between two different spaces. In other words, it is a function that can transform one space into another in a smooth and continuous manner.

2. How is a diffeomorphism different from a regular function?

While both diffeomorphisms and regular functions are mappings between spaces, a diffeomorphism is required to be smooth and invertible, meaning that it has a continuous derivative and can be reversed. Regular functions do not have these requirements.

3. What is the importance of diffeomorphisms in mathematics and science?

Diffeomorphisms are important in various fields of mathematics and science, such as differential geometry, topology, and physics. They allow for the study and manipulation of different spaces and can be used to solve complex problems in these fields.

4. Can diffeomorphisms be applied to real-world scenarios?

Yes, diffeomorphisms have many practical applications in the real world. For example, they are used in computer graphics to transform images and in medical imaging to map the brain's structure.

5. Are there different types of diffeomorphisms?

Yes, there are different types of diffeomorphisms, such as local and global diffeomorphisms. Local diffeomorphisms only need to be smooth and invertible in a small neighborhood, while global diffeomorphisms must hold true for the entire space.