Can Eigenvalues Be Shifted by a Scalar?

In summary: I with eigenvector xIn summary, if λ is an eigenvalue of A, then λ+σ is an eigenvalue of A+σI. This follows from the fact that the appropriate eigenvalue equation for A+σI is (A+σI)x = (λ+σ)x, and since x ≠ 0, the eigenvalue (λ+σ) ≠ 0. Additionally, using the distributive law, it can be shown that σ is an eigenvalue of σI with eigenvector x.
sana2476

Homework Statement

Let λ be an eigenvalue of A. Then λ+σ is an eigenvalue of A+σI

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm guessing I need to use the fact that λ is an e.v of A to start with. But then when I add σ to both sides somehow I feel like I'm begging the question..

Physics news on Phys.org
You know that if [itex] \lambda [/itex] is an eigenvalue of A, then [itex]A\boldsymbol{v}=\lambda \boldsymbol{v}[/itex] is the appropriate eigenvalue equation with v an eigenvector. So if [itex]\lambda+\sigma [/itex] is an eigenvalue of[itex] A+\sigma I[/itex],then what would the appropriate eigenvalue equation be?

Last edited:
The appropriate e.v equation would then be: Ax=(λ+σ)x..is that right?

No that eigenvalue does not belong to A but to [itex]A+\sigma I[/itex]. So replace A by [itex]A+\sigma I[/itex] then write out the left side of the equation and see if it checks out.

But wouldn't that be begging the question?

Yeah, Try adding sigma*x to both sides of equation if you're still stuck.

You want to solve the following equation [itex](A+\sigma I) \boldsymbol v= \eta \boldsymbol v[/itex] for [itex] \eta [/itex]. Do you understand why this is the relevant equation? Now write out the left hand side and use the information given in the exercise.

Thanks I did that...and here's what I have

Ax +σx=λx+σx
Then you have (A+σI)x=(λ+σ)x
and because x doesn't equal zero therefore (λ+σ) doesn't equal zero

which then means that (λ,λ+σ) is an eigenpair of A+σI

While the first two lines you wrote are correct I am not entirely convinced. Why is [itex]A \boldsymbol{ v}+\sigma v =(A+\sigma I) \boldsymbol{v}[/itex] ?

As for the rest. You are correct to say that x is not zero for if it was it wouldn't be an eigenvector. However 0 is a valid eigenvalue so the eigenvalue of [itex]A+\sigma I[/itex] could be zero.

Last edited:
Cyosis said:
While what you wrote is correct I am not entirely convinced. Why is [itex]A \boldsymbol{v}+\sigma \boldsymbol{v} =(A+\sigma I) \boldsymbol{v}[/itex] ?

Looks ok to me … distributive law. :smile:

[tex] x=Ix \Rightarrow \sigma x=\sigma (Ix) = (\sigma I)x [/tex]

Related to Can Eigenvalues Be Shifted by a Scalar?

1. What is an eigenvalue?

An eigenvalue is a scalar quantity that represents the magnitude of the transformation of a vector in a specific direction when a linear transformation is applied to it.

2. What is the importance of eigenvalues in mathematics?

Eigenvalues are important in mathematics because they provide insight into the behavior of linear transformations and matrices. They also have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

3. How is the eigenvalue of a matrix calculated?

The eigenvalue of a matrix can be calculated by finding the roots of the characteristic polynomial of the matrix. Alternatively, it can also be found by solving the characteristic equation det(A-λI) = 0, where det represents the determinant of the matrix A and λ is the eigenvalue.

4. What is the relation between eigenvalues and eigenvectors?

Eigenvectors are the vectors that are transformed only by a scalar when a linear transformation is applied to them. The corresponding eigenvalues represent the magnitude of this transformation. In other words, eigenvectors and eigenvalues are closely related and cannot exist without each other.

5. Can all matrices have eigenvalues?

No, not all matrices have eigenvalues. A matrix must be square (the number of rows and columns must be equal) in order to have eigenvalues. Additionally, a matrix must also have distinct eigenvalues in order for its eigenvectors to be linearly independent.