Showing That the Eigenvalue of a Matrix is 0

In summary: Let ##A^2=0## and ##Ax=\lambda x##. Then ##A(\lambda x)=\lambda A(x)=\lambda^2 x=0##, so ##\lambda=0##.In summary, the conversation discussed how to show that if ##A^2## is the zero matrix, then the only eigenvalue of ##A## is 0. The conversation presented the equations ##Ax=λx## and ##AA=λA## and discussed the possibility of multiple matrices for ##A## and the rarity of ##AA=λA## for any nonzero ##λ##. It was then shown that the proof is quite simple by multiplying ##A\vec{x}=\lambda \vec{x}##
Drakkith
Mentor

Homework Statement

Show that if ##A^2## is the zero matrix, then the only eigenvalue of ##A## is 0.

Homework Equations

##Ax=λx##.

The Attempt at a Solution

For ##A^2## to be the zero matrix it looks like: ##A^2 = AA=A[A_1, A_2, A_3, ...] = [a_{11}a_{11}+a_{12}a_{21}+a_{13}a_{31} + ... = 0, a_{11}a_{12}+a_{12}a_{22}+a_{13}a_{32} + ... = 0] = [0, 0, 0, ...]##
(Rinse and repeat for the next row)

The eigenvalue of a matrix is a scalar ##λ## such that ##Ax=λx##.
So here we have ##AA=λA##

It looks to me like ##A## could be an infinite number of matrices, and that ##AA## would only rarely, if ever, equal ##λA## for any nonzero ##λ##. But I'm not sure how to prove it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Multiply ##A\vec{x}=\lambda \vec{x}## by ##A##.

Drakkith said:
So here we have ##AA=λA##
Sometimes it's better not to abbreviate calculations. We have for eigenvectors ##x## the equation ##Ax=\lambda x##, that is ##A(x) = \lambda \cdot x##. And ##A^2## is a function, which transforms ##x \longmapsto A^2(x) \stackrel{(*)}{=} A((A(x))##. You know the result of the LHS of ##(*)## and also the RHS for eigenvectors ##x## by using the linearity of ##A##.

vela said:
Multiply ##A\vec{x}=\lambda \vec{x}## by ##A##.

Don't tell me it's that simple...

fresh_42 said:
Sometimes it's better not to abbreviate calculations.

I haven't done any calculations yet, so I'm not sure what you mean.

You wrote ##AA=\lambda A##. With the ##x## it is easier to see, and yes, it is that simple.

You can also look at it this way: An eigenvector is a kind of fix point. Now a nilpotent transformation (##A^n=0##) maps everything sooner or later to zero. That leaves not many opportunities for fix points.

fresh_42 said:
You wrote ##AA=\lambda A##. With the ##x## it is easier to see, and yes, it is that simple.

The x isn't there because I apparently didn't understand what I was doing. I thought A became x. :rolleyes:

Drakkith said:
The x isn't there because I apparently didn't understand what I was doing. I thought A became x. :rolleyes:
Without the ##x## it is strictly spoken wrong, because ##A^2 \neq \lambda A##. Only for eigenvectors we can write ##A^2(x_\lambda) = A(A(x_\lambda))=A(\lambda x_\lambda)=\lambda A(x_\lambda)## and so on. For other vectors it doesn't have to be true. I even indexed the vector ##x_\lambda## with ##\lambda## to indicate, that it is a certain vector and that it depends on ##\lambda##. This might be a bit excessive, but it reminds me on what this vector is and thus helps to avoid mistakes. And in handwriting, it is no big deal.

In cases like this, but basically always, it is helpful to first list what is given:
  1. A linear function ##A##
  2. ##A^2=0## which means ##A(A(x))=0## for all ##x##
and then what has to be shown: ##A(x_\lambda) = \lambda \cdot x_\lambda \Longrightarrow \lambda =0##

This often gives already the pathway to a solution, because in order to show this implication ##"\Rightarrow "##, we can assume the left side of it, i.e. an eigenvector ##x_\lambda## to an eigenvalue ##\lambda ##. Now condition #2 can be applied to such an eigenvector and condition #1 allows us to pull the factor ##\lambda ## outside of ##A(\lambda x_\lambda)##.

Of course the thought "eigenvectors are stability vectors and a transformations which kills all vectors cannot have stability vectors unequal to zero" looks more elegant, but even elegant ideas have to be written down with rigor. So there is nothing wrong with the janitor method:
Prepare your tools. Inspect the task. And only until then begin to work.

Likes Drakkith
Drakkith said:
Don't tell me it's that simple...
It is that simple.

1. How do you show that the eigenvalue of a matrix is 0?

To show that the eigenvalue of a matrix is 0, you need to find the determinant of the matrix and set it equal to 0. This will give you the characteristic equation of the matrix, which can be solved to find the eigenvalues. If one of the eigenvalues is 0, then it can be concluded that the matrix has an eigenvalue of 0.

2. What is the significance of an eigenvalue of 0?

An eigenvalue of 0 indicates that the matrix is singular, meaning it does not have an inverse. This can have important implications in various applications of linear algebra, such as in solving systems of equations.

3. Can a matrix have more than one eigenvalue of 0?

Yes, a matrix can have multiple eigenvalues of 0. In fact, the number of eigenvalues of 0 is equal to the nullity of the matrix, which is the number of linearly independent columns or rows in the matrix.

4. How does the size of a matrix affect the probability of it having an eigenvalue of 0?

The size of the matrix does not necessarily affect the probability of it having an eigenvalue of 0. However, larger matrices may have more complex and time-consuming calculations to determine the eigenvalues.

5. Can the eigenvalue of a matrix change?

Yes, the eigenvalue of a matrix can change if the matrix itself is modified. For example, multiplying a matrix by a scalar will also multiply its eigenvalues by the same scalar. However, the eigenvalues will not change if the matrix is only subject to elementary row or column operations.